New € 600,000 car for Bewleys landlord.

R

Rabbit

It was reported in the Sunday Indo. about a month ago that the man behind Treasury holdings had just bought a top of the range car for over six hundred thousand euro. Perhaps if he kept his rent to a more reasonable level, and just went for say a more run of the mill luxury car, he could have avoided forcing Bewleys to close ?

Who is the big boss behind Treasury Holdings? And what car would possibly cost €600,000??? Must be a kit car or something.....

That's just begrudgerie.
He is entitled to charge whatever the market can stand. If they were really interested in keeping Bewleys open they wouldn't have sold the building to him in the first place.
If rents are restricting business activity then it's up to the government to put the regulatory of taxation structures into place to restrict them. You can't expect one individual to charge lower (or less high) rents because their tenant is a "Dublin cultural institution".
he could have avoided forcing Bewleys to close
I can only assume this but if rents are about the same for all the buildings on Grafton street and other Cafes can survive without such a well known brand name then you can't blame the rent for closing the business.
Bad management and bad work practices seem to be the main culprits.

And what car would possibly cost €600,000???
Mercedes Maybach?

Purple, you've summed it up brilliantly, damn sight better than I could! Agree with you completely.

Hi Purple,

Bad management and bad work practices seem to be the main culprits

While agree with you that poor management is to blame for the demise of the two Bewleys Cafés in Dublin, do you have any evidence that bad work practices are to blame?

I know that back in the 1970's that enlightened quaker philosophy led to to some bizzare work practices but I dont think it last too long after CC took over in the mid 1980's

ajapale

Yeah, it was a Mercedes Maybach that was reported in the papers that the managing director of Treasury Holdings ( the landlord ) got, at 6 or 7 hundred thousand euro.

The rent of Bewleys is over this. No other cafes on Grafton street can survive. If Bewleys had less rent to pay they would find it easier to survive. If they had to find a couple of grand every day , day in day out, for the landlord alone, what chance had they? Would it not be a patriotic act for the landlord to forego his car indulgence , at least for one year ?

Would it not be a patriotic act for the landlord to forego his car indulgence , at least for one year ?

Assuming you believe keeping Bewleys open is patriotic.

The MD of Treasury Holdings can well afford his Maybach with or without the rent for Bewleys premises. There is no connection between the two issues.

Hey Rabbit - Here's a suggestion. To allow Bewleys to survive for one year, I'll persuade Treasury to cut their rent in half if you will persuade all the people who signed the petition to stump up €100 each to cover the other half. If you expect Treasury to forego some income, it is only fair that they expect you to forego something too - Would you sign up for this?

Bewleys is small beer ( sorry ) to the lads in Treasury Holdings

[broken link removed]

Take a look at the boys :

[broken link removed]

Ladies, which is the prettiest ?

Thanks Sunnyday, I'll wear thin on you in a while, just ask rainyday...
Ajapale,
do you have any evidence that bad work practices are to blame?
I am just basing it on the 10 or so times that I have been in Bewleys over the last 2-3 years.
Good post rainyday, I agree with you again!
To quote Bertie "I never thought it would have came to this". Isn't he a gem?

I know "the MD of Treasury holdings can afford his 600,000 euro car with or without the rent from Bewleys Grafton Street " This is my point exactly. If he was not to have pushed through his rent increases over the years on Bewleys , he would still be a very rich man - rich enough to buy a 600,000 euro car while everyone else is struggling to buy cars for less than one tenth that.

I think Bewleys is part of our heritage, and is part of one of the reasons tourists come to Dublin. If / When there is another shop in there which is exactly like thousands in the tourists home countries - that would be one less attraction in Dublin I think. I would gladly invest 100 euro to keep Bewleys going, but it would take over 20 people EVERY DAY like me to pay 100 euro , in order to keep the landlord accustomed to the style in which he wants to be kept.
I do not think all the landlords put together 150 years ago even took this much money out of a business.

Maybe peoples greed will one day kill the hen that lays the golden eggs..

Your begrudging comments about the car detract from any point you have about the rent. As you accept he can afford the car anyway, why mention it? Don't fall into the tabloid SIndo's trap.

How many other Bewley's customers do you reckon would be prepared to cough up the €100? How frequently did you visit Bewleys prior to the closure?

Re: New € 600,000 car for Bewleys landlord

Bewleys was a commercial enterprise and if they couldn't make a profit out of it, tough. All this talk of heritage and tradition is making my eyes water. It's business. Why on earth would the landlord reduce the rent just because Bewleys couldn't operate an efficient business. The landlord is in business too. If you can't afford the repayments on your mortgage would you exect the bank to reduce what you owe?
I don't think that Bewleys once mentioned that their rents were the reason they went out of business.

As said previously Bewleys is a commercial concern; if you don't cut the mustard, then you go out of business. Bewleys stood still for too long while all around it small better run establishments offer better product and service sprung up during the late 90's and early 00's. This is particularly true if you think of the number of smaller coffee shops around the Grafton street area, lower overheads and better service. Bewleys did nothing to counteract these threats and are now paying for it.

In other areas we spend our time calling for competition in various sectors of the economy, Bewleys faced competition and the competition won out.

Re: New € 600,000 car for Bewleys landlord

Thanks Sunnyday, I'll wear thin on you in a while, just ask rainyday...
:rollin

Fact One: the Sunday Independent is not a tabloid, as one stated.

Fact Two : Bewley did actually say in one of the pieces I read that one of the reasons they went of of business were the rent increases over the years. How could a coffee shop in Grafton street pay over 2000 euro per day, every day , in rent alone ? No other coffee shop does it.

In some other countries the national trust takes over heritage attractions / places of interest like this, before it is too late.

I say, if the landlord wanted to put something back in to the Irish economy, would it not be a nice gesture if he reduced or waived the rent to a more realistic level ? Given his choice of latest car, it would clearly mean very little to him but a lot to many other people ..... the ex-employees of Bewleys, tourists and natives of Dublin alike.

The rent on the premises that Bewleys once held is based on the area its in and the space it occupies. The building next door (per sq foot) would, I'm sure, demand the same or similar rent.

Rents for retailers tend to be very high these days and I've known retailers in the past who've had to pull out of shopping centres due to an increase in yearly rents. Then again, I've also known businesses who moaned about closing down due to rental increases when, in actual fact, it had far more to do with them running their businesses badly than it did on the net effect the increase had.

But I haven't heard of any other lesser known businesses on Grafton street going to the dogs just yet. It is THE best piece of land to occupy for any restaurant in the country.

Fact One: the Sunday Independent is not a tabloid, as one stated.

Compact, tabloid - to-may-toe, to-mah-toe...

The Sunday Indo is way ahead compared to other irish newspapers. The Irish times is bias and definitely sensationalist rainyday. I don;t even consider the examiner to be a newspaper anymore. In fact VIZ is probably more accurate.

Back