Never have money

Clubman - have you ever reported anyone to social welfare or indeed to revenue or other gov body ?

Generally ( rightly or wrongly ) this kind of thing is not very vell thought of in Ireland and therefore it is difficult to do
No offence but that's none of your business.

No offence but that's none of your business.

No shock at this reply from you clubman - No offence

The correct answer to my question should have been one of the following

1 No I have never reported anyone as I do not know anyone who is in breach of social welfare law or tax law - ( Nobody would believe this )

or

2 Yes I have reported people and will continue to do so - ( this, unfortunately, in Ireland makes you a snitch )

So to answer my question " Have you ever reported anyone to social welfare, the revenue or indeed any govt body ? " was a LOSE LOSE for you

Maybe you will think next time before you preach to someone about moaning instead of reporting people to welfare

Last edited by a moderator:
...The missus minds a child a few days a week as well so thats where her income comes from...
Is it safe to assume, after all the discourse about alleged / suspected welfare fraudsters, that this €4,600 annual income gets returned for taxation by the Revenue?

Or am I doing "The missus" a dis-service and in reality this is her net income from running a properly registered, inspected, insured and regulated child-minding business in the home?

Yes, absolutely

It is all a question of attitude, and if your username is indicitive of your attitude, that is where you are going wrong.

I raise a family on quite a bit less than your income, same mortgage..different attitude.

I know where my money goes. Broadband yes, Sky no. Frugal shopping, picnics, duchas card and oldish car yes, car loan, begrudgery or welfare hotline no.

Attitude? What has my username got to do with anything?
How can you make any assumptions based on a user name?
The only differences between your list and mine are Sky (I can't get RTE here with an ordinary aeriel) and you have an oldish car (I need a good car as I commute to work in it (no public transport or car pooling available, houses too expensive to move closer to work).

Begrudgery - absolutely not. As I've already stated I was feeling frustrated when I posted the original post.
You obviously didn't read all the thread as post 14 clearly proves that I don't begrudge anyone.
I also don't know the welfare hotline no (I didn't even know it existed) and clearly have no urge to report anyone (again read post 14).

Is it safe to assume, after all the discourse about alleged / suspected welfare fraudsters, that this €4,600 annual income gets returned for taxation by the Revenue?

Or am I doing "The missus" a dis-service and in reality this is her net income from running a properly registered, inspected, insured and regulated child-minding business in the home?

[broken link removed]

Thanks to everyone that posted a reply (even the OT ones ;))...

Hi Nomun...,
You are in the same boat as a huge number of people, thing is now you have started to do your sums and address your overspending and this will help you get into a position where you can reduce your overdraft and pay off your credit card bills which should in turn free up cash flow and help on a day to day basis. But I would recommend when you get control of your spending you put aside a few Euro each week to get you both out of the house for a night out at least once a month, or long term a holiday once a year, I think psycologically we feel that if little treats are denied we end up spending on bigger items down the line, and its good for couples to get out socially together.
In regard to cutting back little things help, such as shopping for groceries only once a week and going to Lidl or Aldi, bringing your lunch to work, stop buying papers / magazines on a regular basis (and also not being subjected to their 'lifestyle' articles or advertising will less the pressure to buy, buy, buy. Join a Library, take the kids to fee free places such as parks or museums and bring a picnic lunch with you there which you can eat in the car if the weather does its usual rather than the movies and McD's (not assuming you do this, but a lot of us do) And basically stay away from places where you can spend money.
Good luck with it!

Hi Nomun...,
You are in the same boat as a huge number of people, thing is now you have started to do your sums and address your overspending and this will help you get into a position where you can reduce your overdraft and pay off your credit card bills which should in turn free up cash flow and help on a day to day basis. But I would recommend when you get control of your spending you put aside a few Euro each week to get you both out of the house for a night out at least once a month, or long term a holiday once a year, I think psycologically we feel that if little treats are denied we end up spending on bigger items down the line, and its good for couples to get out socially together.
In regard to cutting back little things help, such as shopping for groceries only once a week and going to Lidl or Aldi, bringing your lunch to work, stop buying papers / magazines on a regular basis (and also not being subjected to their 'lifestyle' articles or advertising will less the pressure to buy, buy, buy. Join a Library, take the kids to fee free places such as parks or museums and bring a picnic lunch with you there which you can eat in the car if the weather does its usual rather than the movies and McD's (not assuming you do this, but a lot of us do) And basically stay away from places where you can spend money.
Good luck with it!

Good advice. Thanks!

nomunnofun.

If it makes you feel better,myself and my wife are in the same boat. Don't remember what a pub's like on the inside. Same age as yourselves too. Don't worry though, we'll all get through it. ;)

nomunnofun.

If it makes you feel better,myself and my wife are in the same boat. Don't remember what a pub's like on the inside. Same age as yourselves too. Don't worry though, we'll all get through it. ;)

What a nice positive attitude and a lovely user name;)

Attitude? What has my username got to do with anything?
How can you make any assumptions based on a user name?
The names we choose are telling, people rarely choose random numbers or nonsense letters so "nomonnofun" might be read as "I can have no fun because I have no money" (irritation) or maybe "I have no money and I have no fun" (woe is me)
;)
The first interpretation makes it seem like the only reason to get money is to have fun, the second sounds like two problems rolled up together.

There are actually two threads discussing origin of user names if you want to have a look
http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=76954
http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=61150
... As I've already stated I was feeling frustrated when I posted the original post.

Thanks to everyone that posted a reply (even the OT ones ;))...
Best of luck nomomnofun, hope those silver linings show soon.

The names we choose are telling, people rarely choose random numbers or nonsense letters so "nomonnofun" might be read as "I can have no fun because I have no money" (irritation) or maybe "I have no money and I have no fun" (woe is me)
;)
The first interpretation makes it seem like the only reason to get money is to have fun, the second sounds like two problems rolled up together.

There are actually two threads discussing origin of user names if you want to have a look
http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=76954
http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=61150

Best of luck nomomnofun, hope those silver linings show soon.

I wouldn't be reading so much into my username tbh. It's just an old saying my mother used to have that came to mind when I was chosing a username (I already have another one, but re-registered for this post as people might recognise me if I used my original one...).

I cannot understand why it is ‘begrudgery’ to complain about the situation in this country.

We live(d) in a cash rich country where the Government was rolling in cash and provided third world services.

Our tax base is low but everything is expensive primarily due to the price of property (it has been driving everything) and this was the ordinary man in the street funding yet another Irish scam – the politicos were lining their buddies pockets (the developers).

There needs to be a sea-change of thinking in this country – people need to look beyond the confines of a poor service British economy and see how public services are provided in other European countries.

Where rents are regulated and there is a greater emphasis on the ‘people’.

Back