"Never Ever Drink and Drive" signs on motorway

Romulan

Drives me nuts.

The law states that you can in fact drink and drive subject to certain limits.
But the RSA seems to think otherwise.

Now I have no issue with reducing the limit to 0, it...just...generates...steam when I see the signs.

Feel better now,

Would you feel better if the signs advised you just to drink a little before setting off?:)

The limit should be reduced to zero as most people have no idea how much they are 'allowed' to drink before it puts them over the limit.

If I have one glass of wine on an empty stomach, I wouldn't get into a car and drive as I can feel myself that my senses are definitely impaired.

Would love to see signs on the motorway asking motorists to drive in the left lane unless overtaking! ;)

The RSA's policy is that any alcohol intake will impact your driving, this is separate to the limits of criminal intoxication set by the state. I'd say it's fairly reasonable of them to have signs advising people not to drink and drive and a fairly sensible policy of those driving to avoid alcohol irrespective of the limits.

What gets my blood boiling is trying to get the cap off a naggin of vodka while driving, they should have those flip tops like water bottles and sports drinks. Seriously, stearing with your knees while trying to get that cap off is just not safe.

What gets my blood boiling is trying to get the cap off a naggin of vodka while driving, they should have those flip tops like water bottles and sports drinks. Seriously, stearing with your knees while trying to get that cap off is just not safe.
I've no problem with that. It's chopping up the lemon and mixing it that I find hard ;)

anyone who dosent drink and drive wont need a flashing sign to remind them not to do it..... anyone who dose drink and drive wont have their mind changed by any sign..

anyone who dosent drink and drive wont need a flashing sign to remind them not to do it..... anyone who dose drink and drive wont have their mind changed by any sign..

+1

But you have to be seen to try to change mindsets

anyone who dose drink and drive wont have their mind changed by any sign..

Not sure about that. It's no harm to remind people as they are driving that they should not be drinking and driving.

Do you have the same problem with the "speed kills" or "slow down" signs?

There's quite a few, but it's not as straightforward as an absolute zero limit. For many it only applies to new drivers and professional drivers, then for normal social drivers it's a higher limit and some of the countries, like Saudi have an overall ban on alcohol anyway.

Even then you can't measure below 0.01% and as has been said you will have alcohol in your system from products and natural metabolism of food and drink, so in the "zero limit" countries, the punishment tends to be fines/points up to a recognised "intoxication" limit where it becomes a more serious offence.

The whole notion of a zero limit is just a political soundbite you might as well have a zero limit for driving while having urine in your bladder.

They can't reduce the limit to zero. Alcohol is present in lots of every day items including mouthwashes and medicines.
Not to mention the fact that it is produced naturally in the body in small quantities.

Back