Netflix now available in Ireland (movie selection poor and old).

Muz

Netflix is now available. You can sign up for a free 1 month trial, but have to input your CC details. You will be charged after the first month but can cancel at any time. I had a quick look at the movies available and the selection is very old! Still they are free for a month!

Movie selection is indeed poor enough, but some of the UK series are good enough (Spooks, Torchwood, Prime Suspect etc). Plenty of stuff for young kids though that might make it worthwhile. I'll try it out for a month.

It looks rubbish! I cant understand why its so popular in the US, unless they have a vastly x100 superior selection.

I'm watching through a 46'' Samsung Smart TV and the quality is adequate. The HD shows are not coming through in HD. I'm guessing that's because my broadband is ~4mbps.

i had a quick look and it appears you have to use facebook as well, got me a bit stumped?

help

i had a quick look and it appears you have to use facebook as well, got me a bit stumped?

help
Signing up with Facebook credentials seems to be just one option. You can also sign up with a regular email address according to their site.

I'm watching through a 46'' Samsung Smart TV and the quality is adequate. The HD shows are not coming through in HD. I'm guessing that's because my broadband is ~4mbps.

I have Samsung Smart TV. How did you get Netflix to work? I couldn't find it on the Hub.

I have Samsung Smart TV. How did you get Netflix to work? I couldn't find it on the Hub.

The app appeared last night, but you will need to update the Samsung system software first (menu - system - software upgrade - by wireless , or something like that.) make sure you are outside SmartHub when you do this. Takes about 20mins. Then re-load the Netflix app. Works well.

Signing up with Facebook credentials seems to be just one option. You can also sign up with a regular email address according to their site.

Spot on, you don't need to sign up via Facebook. They're just pushing that as the default option as they will post updates on the walls of those who do link a Facebook account as a marketing ploy.

The app appeared last night, but you will need to update the Samsung system software first (menu - system - software upgrade - by wireless , or something like that.) make sure you are outside SmartHub when you do this. Takes about 20mins. Then re-load the Netflix app. Works well.

I spent the weekend trying to get the app on my Samsung. It appears that my Smart TV is a series 6 model and is not supported yet. I'm hoping the app will appear in the coming weeks. Series 7 & 8 are fully supported.

Spot on, you don't need to sign up via Facebook. They're just pushing that as the default option as they will post updates on the walls of those who do link a Facebook account as a marketing ploy.

I am already really irritated by the facebook updates telling me what my friends watched on netflix.

If you want to keep your friends, avoid the facebook option,

I'm thinking about purchasing Apple TV. I'm not totally enamoured with the Samsung Smart Hub interface. It's slow and annoying and it seems to have been designed by a UX designer who hates people.

This is interesting : I have Xbox Live Gold membership so I ran Netflix though this. The picture quality is a lot better than what I'm getting when I stream direct to my Samsung Smart TV. Also, the interface on the Xbox is much nicer.

Got Apple TV from Santy, amazing, the best little device to come into the house, easy to set up, streams in HD, Netflix just ok but you can also download more recent movies through itunes, internet radio, Youtube etc etc, terrific !

Can't understand why people are dishing Netflix , for 6.99 its definitely value.
Unless you are a total movie buff and have already seen everything already and are just interested in new releases.
If you are looking for speciifc material its not good , but if you are happy to browse what they have and find films/documentaries you havent seen before ,its great and also for the Kids stuff.

Apple TV is great if you have an iphone or ipad and you can use airplay to stream to the TV , and from your harddrive if you download movies

Things I dislike about Netflix:

1) Irish version has a terrible selection of movies and series.
2) Its €7.99 per month in the US, which is just over €6. So its more expensive than US at €6.99, with much less content (see point 1).
3) Irish broadband isnt capable of handling Netflix especially in rural areas.
4) You cant store the stuff youve watched, its only a streaming site.
5) It has a really easy signup with facebook that then broadcasts what you watch to everyone you know. The other signup option is harder to spot.
6) Torrents and sites like Warez-bb are free

LMAO :D

1) Irish version has a terrible selection of movies and series.

Irish site is improving every day!

2) Its €7.99 per month in the US, which is just over €6. So its more expensive than US at €6.99, with much less content (see point 1).

Its also £6.00pm in the UK so at €6.99 its not all that bad.

3) Irish broadband isnt capable of handling Netflix especially in rural areas.

Irish broadband is MORE than capable of handling Netflix...even for slower connections just allow the movie to buffer for a few mins first.

4) You cant store the stuff youve watched, its only a streaming site.

Its not advertised as anything other than a streaming site.

5) It has a really easy signup with facebook that then broadcasts what you watch to everyone you know. The other signup option is harder to spot.

You can easily opt for things not to be shared with facebook as when you first start to view the movie/tv show an option appears in the corner of the screen.

6) Torrents and sites like Warez-bb are free

Although free, they are illegal and Netflix offers a legal alternative to such sites.

Back