Nestor Martin Stoves - Anyone bought and using one?

has anyone installed a stove/insert in an airtight house? i am hoping to do this in a house with a HRV system and im not sure if i will need to install seperate air intake for both, one option would be to put a 4 inch pipe in the foundations and connect it directly from the outside to a flue which goes into the stove, the other to connect through the wall to the back of the insert. has anyone done this? what do you think?

i think what you need is a draft stabilizer

Hi cheese

No, it's an IT33 (or something like that), the 8KW one.

The freestanding one gives out more heat than the insert one, as you'd expect, for the same amount of wood I'd say.

SSE

Many thanks pjq, I think I'll go for the Runswick. Can you tell me where you bought, and approx what cost.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I have decided to purchase the RH33 Nestor Martin in alumin.. I will get it delivered next weeks so will report back once installed.
I got mine for a bit Cheaper c/w all of the cowl, flue and coupler etc, delivered to Dublin from Murphy Heating, than you did Kildare build. They are also throwing in a floor plate. He told me that its very straight forward to install....

Hi Polo1,
Can you pls post how much you bought your stove & ancillary parts for? I hope to price for the same model, flue, etc. in Northern Ire. tomorrow, so be very interested to hear what the best prices out there in Southern Ire. Thanks, apple1

what is a draft stabiliser? i suppose someone in the know like the stove sellers would know.... but to folks with a hrv system and a stove: does your stove just use the air from the room it is in??? i guess if the house isnt fully sealed it isnt a prob...

apple. Sorry wasnt on line in a couple of days. I paid 1850 delivered to Dub - Are prices similar up north?

As I previously said , I've just installed a Nestor Martin IT13 ( small insert ) and comparing it ti the Runswick we got last year ,,, I'm not so happy .
We burn mostly wood , and found that the fire went out unless we left the draft on at max , the glass got smokey and the heat is not getting out into the room , but the marble mantlepiece got very hot above the insert .
Once we put in some coal the temperature in the fire rose , and the blackness was burned off the glass and at the higher temperature it coped better with the addition of wood and the draft could be turned down . Yet even with coal the IT13 does not pump out as much heat into the room as the cheaper Runswick , but it does heat the mantlepiece , even though the frame is not in physical contact with the mantlepiece.
I would be interested in other peoples experiences .
pjq

Hello folks,

I am just about to purchase the S 33 which Robert from Stoves Ireland in New Ross highly recommends (no connection - I just googled them). It looks like a great piece of gear, and I think its just a renamed version of the one spoken about at the start of this thread.

I have a major outstanding question though: I'm a city boy, and I was wondering where you can get good, seasoned firewood logs from and what sort of price are you looking at per tonne. I've looked alot online and its all pellets pellets pellets !

Any help would be great. What are you guys burning in them now, and in particular does this slow burn mechanism really burn for 10 hours?

Thanks

Tom

Hi Dubtommyboy

Just wondering how you got on with your S33? We are planning on buying one, but just want to see what the experience is like as we dont know anyone who has one.

Thanking you in advance!

Feelingrand

We've been successfully using the Nestor Martin S23 for a few years now.
It's a 6kw free standing stove which we plumbed in to a chimney and got it from Murphyheating. It cost about 1300 at the time as far as I recall.
We now plan on moving it due to a re-org of rooms etc and will need to move it to a gable end which has no chimney so the flue will now be inside the room and exit through the vaulted ceiling. All the required bit and pieces for this are coming in at around 1100euro (inc vat).
I also plan on fitting a 4inch pipe at the back of the stove for air supply purposes as we are attempting to make the house as air tight as (practically) possible. Hopefully I'll find a nice looking grill that you can adjust as required.

Franm

I too am looking for an Insert Stove? Something contemporary - a glass door in the wall with a slim surround. I hope to keep the Insert elevated- would I need a heart - I have Oak T&G floating Floor. How high would I need to keep the bottom of the Insert off the floor? I using an old Fireplace and have the Surround & Heart removed. I floored right up to the old chimneybreast. I heard poor reports about Nestor Martin Check out the NEWS on this site http://www.martinbrowne.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=section&id=1&Itemid=2
Also similar problems on this Post!!
Has anybody any experience with Turbo Inserts ( Les Foyers et Inserts) ??
Any Help Please......

You should have 11" of a heart hin front of the opening even witha glass door. if you want to argue the case you can the stove is 11" from the floor therfore but it may not wash. from a safety point and a convience point a hearth ort tiled area should be in front of it. you will have soot and ash as you clean out or refuel spilling out regardless.
as for the above i dont see how he can say they dont work sadly and then say more info soon. they work as most stoves do very well when installed correctly if there is a problem i'd say its an local environment problem rather than an inherent issue with the stoves themselves. I dont have any customers that dont love theirs so far and I,ve sold a good few of them all freestanding by the way but sell plenty of other insert stoves too with no major problems.

Hi,

I have bought an insert stove for a new build and just wondering how did ye install it and what type of chimney brest did ye build around it?
The company we bought from recommended a guy to install and build the fireproof metal stud chimney breast but he wants to charge €2,300 for installation - that seems really expensive to me.

Would be very grateful if someone could tell me what they did when installing their insert stove - was the chinmey breast installed with fire proof materials and metal stud and how much this cost.

The company are instisting we use Supalux 12mm Non-Combustible Board and metal zinc-coated stud work for them to cover the fire with warrenty.

Any help greatly appreiciated.

Thanks a mill.

:)

As I previously said , I've just installed a Nestor Martin IT13 ( small insert ) and comparing it ti the Runswick we got last year ,,, I'm not so happy .
We burn mostly wood , and found that the fire went out unless we left the draft on at max , the glass got smokey and the heat is not getting out into the room , but the marble mantlepiece got very hot above the insert .
Once we put in some coal the temperature in the fire rose , and the blackness was burned off the glass and at the higher temperature it coped better with the addition of wood and the draft could be turned down . Yet even with coal the IT13 does not pump out as much heat into the room as the cheaper Runswick , but it does heat the mantlepiece , even though the frame is not in physical contact with the mantlepiece.
I would be interested in other peoples experiences .
pjq

Hi pjq
I have had a similar experience with a nestor martin ITH33

Just wondering how Nestor Martin Stoves compare to Stanley in relation to performance / price etc

Are Stanley the "mercedes" of stoves or is that purely marketing ?

Hi Polo1,
Can you pls post how much you bought your stove & ancillary parts for? I hope to price for the same model, flue, etc. in Northern Ire. tomorrow, so be very interested to hear what the best prices out there in Southern Ire. Thanks, apple1

Hi apple1,
I am interested in buying a similar model in the nestor martin range and I was just wondering how you found prices in northern Ireland. Was there a significant saving compared to the south?

Hi,
Has anyone got a Clearview Solution 500 stove. I am considering this or the Nestor Martin S33. I don't have an air tight house but the Clearview offers an option to supply air from outside. This might tip the scales for me. It's a bit more expensive. Is there a worry about carbon monoxide here with these bigger stoves using all the oxygen from the room for combustion. Also are the NM built to last. Are they made from recycled steel / iron.

It's going into a 30' x 15' room on an outside wall - we need to create a new chimney using twin wall etc. etc..

Your thoughts would help.

Thanks in advance.

BarW

Back