Nest Controls

peteb

Hi

I was just wondering does anyone know if this only works with certain boilers? Do they have to have digital control panels?

My gas boiler is about the same age as my house - 10 years old. There is a timer on the boiler itself. And a thermostat in my hall. But I'd like a bit more flexability in terms of setting the heating. But without digital controls how does it work?

I'm tech competent but have no idea about heating and electrics in houses etc. My boiler has been rattling for 4 years and the plumbers always say when servicing it that its probably the heating pump on the way out. But still hasnt gone yet.

I'm toying with the idea of replacing the boiler and upgrading heating controls but cant really afford the 2k this year so this might do the trick for the moment.

thanks for reading.

I have had a Nest system for a year now
The timing clock for hot water and central heating under the boiler still controls the hot water. But the central heating bypasses this timing clock. I believe the new nest system controls both hot water and central heating.
Look on the NEST website for a registered nest installer who will tell you if your boiler is compatible. I think most are. I got mine done for €85 cash
The nest system can be controlled via the thermostat itself or more easily via the app on your mobile phone or tablet.
I have set up a schedule for the heating to be turned on at 6 AM 21° for an hour and then again at 2 PM until 9 PM also 21°. There is a video on their website of how the thermostat can be used.

https://nest.com/ie/widget/video/?i...obileSpecific=&path=&cyoa=&locale=&autoClose=

I would definitely recommend it.

The Nest only controls the heating part of your boiler, it replaces the thermostat you have in the hall and the beauty of the nest is it doesn't have to be in the hall.

I think Electric Ireland will do the Nest for free if you move to them.

Excuse my ignorance, but if it only replaces the thermostat in the hall then how does it control the time?

The Nest only controls the heating part of your boiler, it replaces the thermostat you have in the hall and the beauty of the nest is it doesn't have to be in the hall.

The relatively new third generation nest controller now controls your hot water and central heating !! Watch the video I posted!!
Electric Ireland do have an offer where they give it to you for free but you end up not availing of the discounted electric rate so over the term of the contract I calculated that you end up paying slightly more then buying it out right.
I think Electric Ireland will do the Nest for free if you move to them.

Excuse my ignorance, but if it only replaces the thermostat in the hall then how does it control the time?

Once again I suggest you watch the video and all will be revealed.
The timing and temperature schedule can be set up from your phone or iPad automatically syncs to the nest.

I stand corrected, just watched the video, I have the 2nd gen which only does the heating.

Back