Nervous about Anglo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maybrick

Hi,
I have about 110,000 languishing in Ulster Bank with a pathetic interest rate, so I'm thinking of moving it to Anglo-Irish - but all the negative publicity about it in the media recently has made me nervous. Are there any Anglo customers here who can reassure me? Are they generally good to deal with? Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Alex

Hi,
I have about 110,000 languishing in Ulster Bank with a pathetic interest rate, so I'm thinking of moving it to Anglo-Irish - but all the negative publicity about it in the media recently has made me nervous. Are there any Anglo customers here who can reassure me? Are they generally good to deal with? Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Alex

I'm thinking of doing the same actually, with a similarly large sum. Theoretically, the deposit is covered fully by the state guarantee so should be safe enough. However, I don't think the state guarantee would fully help my nerves if I was to wake up in the morning and hear that they were going under.
On a positive note, I heard on the radio recently that they have a good level of deposits by comparison to other institutions which should stand to them.

I'm also very interested to hear people's thoughts....

Hi all, I have been an Anglo customer for approx 3 years. I find them excellent to deal with. Very prompt to open accounts once documentation received etc. Transfer monies out of anglo with just a call or email, again usually same day. Happy to recommend them. ps I have no connection to Anglo other than that of customer.

Are there any Anglo customers here who can reassure me? Are they generally good to deal with?
I have found them very good to deal with for several years now. And the Irish Government is guaranteeing 100% of deposits with Anglo as with some other institutions who participate in their scheme. See here.

I have found them very good to deal with for several years now. And the Irish Government is guaranteeing 100% of deposits with Anglo as with some other institutions who participate in their scheme. See here.

Would you still think it worth while to spread a large sum around? eg. Spread 300K across 3 institutions in multiples of 100K.

A number of people have advised me to do this. My only concern is that it increases the likelihood of losing one multiple of 100K !....which really isn't desirable either.

As a matter of interest, what's the procedure when you lodge such a large sum with them? Can you just walk in off the street or is it better to ring up and arrange an appointment?

Would you still think it worth while to spread a large sum around? eg. Spread 300K across 3 institutions in multiples of 100K.

How much more security do you want than a government guarantee? :)
It is 100% secure. Neither the EU, ECB or the Irish Gov. have let or will let anyone loose a single cent in a financial intuition.

You can walk in off the street with Anglo - you don't need an appointment.

In fairness Anglo are opne of the most professional outfits to deal with. Their customer service is pretty much second to none and makes the likes of PTSB and especially First Active look like amateurs.

In any case your cash is secured by a government guarantee if the 'worst' happens

As a matter of interest, what's the procedure when you lodge such a large sum with them? Can you just walk in off the street or is it better to ring up and arrange an appointment?

I'd say no matter what the amount just write a cheque or get a bankers draft and there'll be no problems. A suitcase full of 50's might be a different matter ;)

I have been dealing with Anglo since 2003 and I would totally agree with the other posters with regard to their customer service, efficiency etc. Never had a single problem with them. Always very helpfull and willing to accommodate me.

I am not and have never been an employee of Anglo. Purely just a satisfied customer.

I am also Anglo customer and would re-iterate all above posts re:excellent customer service with real time online daily updates of account info.None of the other banks come close so its not surprising they(anglo) attract most deposits.

Yes customer service seems better than other banks and i wouldnt be nervous as you have the guarantee.

Great bank to deal with. You can get all the info you need about opening an account, download forms, etc from their website.

I am also Anglo customer and would re-iterate all above posts re:excellent customer service with real time online daily updates of account info.None of the other banks come close so its not surprising they(anglo) attract most deposits.

What a bank in Ireland with good customer service:cool:

Joejoe

This is a good thread, - I have proceeds from the sale of my home to deposit so it makes me feel much more comfortable with Anglo.

Think I will avail of their very attractive fixed term deposit rate and sit the bulk of the proceeds here until I'm ready to buy again (which I can't see happening now for a year or two!).

Just noticed their regular saver is 8% AER, that's a bloody good return in any investment terms considering the low level of risk!

Don't put everything in Anglo. Spray your money into the like of

• Ulster Esavings
  • FA Esavings
  • Rabo
  • Anglo
  • Halifax
  • Northern Rock
See best buy for regular saver and lump sum deposit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back