Nenagh and/or Roscrea for lunch

• Thread starter fatherdougalmaguire
  • Start date
F

fatherdougalmaguire

Hi
We're heading to Kerry in a couple of weeks time with 2 kids
in tow and, for the journey there, we're considering a possible stop-off in either Nenagh (if all is going well) or Roscrea (if things get ropey). It'll be a Sunday and we expect to hit there at lunch time or shortly afterwards. Can anyone recommend some eateries in either or both?

Cheers.

Used to do this run about three times a week

Matt The T in Birdhill wasnt bad.

But that was a long time ago

Is it still there ?

depends what u want.
cheep and cheerful carvery lunch- racket hall roscrea on the way from dublin.
Ala carte- the tower roscrea.not dear- come into town on the right hand side just befor the round tower.

hi,

how about Dan Larkins pub in Garrykennedy ?
Garrykennedy is a small village on the shore of Lough Derg and is about 4 miles from Nenagh (kinda on the Limerick side).
the pub serves your regular pub fare....roast and mash potatoes etc. Its decent enough and not too expensive. The reason I am suggesting it cause the pub has a large enclosed garden where you can eat outside or where the kids can run around safely...you can see the garden from most of the tables in the restaurant so you can keep an eye on them.

you can then take a stroll along the lakeside before you go on your merry way....much nicer than stopping in either Nenagh or Roscrea in my opinion.
you will probably need to book ahead if you plan to go there on sunday at lunch time.

Regards,
Janeom

[broken link removed]

Dan Larkins Pub and Restaurant
Garrykennedy. Co. Tipperary,
Phone 067-23232
Food served all day and traditional music at night.
Thatched pub and restaurant. The style is that of an
old world farmhouse, with an open fire.
Bar food and lunch is served all day. Steaks, fish & salads with a children's menu.
Also a la cart menu available.

Better still.... go just past Nenagh on the N7 and then take the turn off to Ballina/Killaloe which is just 3 km from the N7. This Heritage Town, capital of Ireland in the time of Brian Boru, is situated on the banks of the River Shannon and Lough Derg and is one of Ireland's best kept secrets. There are a number of good eateries to choose from.

Very popular and consistently good is Goosers Bar and Restaurant. This is on your right as you enter the twin villages of Ballina (Co. Tipperary) and Killaloe (Co. Clare). Also to be strongly recommended are Molly's Bar and Restaurant (Ballina), Watermans Lodge (Ballina), Lakeside Hotel (Ballina), Crotty's Bar and Restaurant (Killaloe) and Kincora Lodge Hotel (Killaloe).

If your visit coincides with the weekend of 16th/17th July then the place will be buzzing with the FÉILE BRIAN BORÚ 2004. A highlight of the festival is the living history re-enactments. See the [broken link removed] site for details.

Enjoy your trip!

Hi FDM,
While i would agree with most of the sugestions above except matt the trashers(over priced IMHO) I would assume that you will be wanting to stay on the main road in order to continue asap. Nenagh is now bypassed as will delay you to go in. That is why I sugested Racket Hall, while geting to The Tower will not add 5 min to your journey.

Agree with tobo and their recommendations...Killaloe/Ballina are lovely villages. Of the list, Goosers is probably the most well know for good food....but it can be difficult to get a table.
Watermans do serve lovely food but its a little more posh so maybe not the best place if your kids are restless from travelling. I would n't be rushing to the Lakeside hotel.
and if the place is buzzing, I'd park your car and walk across the bridge between the 2 villages...its too small for cars too meet and involves a lot of queuing and reversing etc.

just a point in response to jem...certainly to go to Killaloe/Ballina you don't need to go anywhere near Nenagh. The turn off is on the main Dublin-Limerick road.
Janeom

I agree with Jem about Matt the Threshers. It is also one of the most child unfriendly places that I have come across and that is not because of the physical environment but about the attitude of the proprietors. There is a statement on the menu which leaves you in no doubt that they would prefer you to not bring children in. As a parent of 3 children under the age of 5 I can't enjoy my meal if I feel anxious about every sound or movement of my offspring.

In reply to Janeom, Watermans is not as posh as you might think and it is a lot less crowded than Goosers. They have recently introduced a very good and nicely priced Sunday carvery. Another advantage is that they have a large outdoor area which is safe for children to run around in, unlike Goosers which is situated right on a relatively busy road.

Back