Neighbours wants hedge replaced with wall

johnd

I'd be grateful for any advice on the following. When we moved into our house some 18 years ago we planted a hedge because at the time we couldn't afford to build a wall. The hedge is now about 6ft tall and well looked after and we value it for the privacy and security it gives.
My neighbour recently approached us to ask if we be willing to go half towards a wall of replacing the hedge with a wall. This is largely for health reasons as neither of them are strong enough to trim the hedge. I have offered to cut the hedge on their side but they are reluctant and would rather have the wall. The only problem is they want us to fund the cost of removing the hedge as we planted it.
I can on fine with them and don't want any unpleasantness between us and because of their health do not want to seem unreasonable.

Any opinions appreciated.

If your neighbour wants a wall and you are OK with that then let them pay for it. I dont think thats unreasonable. I wanted walls in my garden and was happy that the neighbours did not object but I paid and I think that was fair. However if it was me I would offer them half the price of the wall, thats it.

No way would I take down my hedge and look at an ugly wall, let them build one inside the hedge on their side.

Venice - we are glad to half for all the job including removal of hedge 50-50. They expect us to pay for that part of the cost as we planted it.

Wbs - Hedge has grown rather thick on their side and would cover the boundary between us. As I said they do suffer health problems so I don't want to be unreasonable...

Whats on your half your entilted to they could cut your hedge on there side.If they want to build a wall let them pay half why should you pay for removing the hedges your happy with now.I know there your neighbours but why should you be out of pocket they want the wall not you.

I'd be grateful for any advice on the following. When we moved into our house some 18 years ago we planted a hedge because at the time we couldn't afford to build a wall. The hedge is now about 6ft tall and well looked after and we value it for the privacy and security it gives.
My neighbour recently approached us to ask if we be willing to go half towards a wall of replacing the hedge with a wall. This is largely for health reasons as neither of them are strong enough to trim the hedge. I have offered to cut the hedge on their side but they are reluctant and would rather have the wall. The only problem is they want us to fund the cost of removing the hedge as we planted it.
I can on fine with them and don't want any unpleasantness between us and because of their health do not want to seem unreasonable.

Any opinions appreciated.

There is a tangled legal matter here and a neighbour conundrum.

When we moved in to our house we had hedges on either side - the dreaded Leylandii - two cuts a year minimum!

We stuck it for six years and then approached out neighbours on both sides about removal and replacement with a fence,

We didn't want a heavy wall.

Our neighbours went half on the new fence and we paid for removal of the hedge.

Fence is a 6ft [1.8M] concrete post and treated timber panel job from Abwood - €1800 to you squire.

I should say that the end of the garden had been done by our neighbours to the rear a couple of years ago - same principle - they paid fhri their trees to go and we went half on the fence.

Loss of a hedge can be a bit of a twinge, but I'd be a little wary of the wall.

Consider the alternatives and cost, particularly the cost of matching on both sides and the rear.

If your other neighbours don't want walls you could be left with a very lop-sided garden.

I think going half for the fence confirms joint ownership.

If you cannot agree, there is the legal thing - all the below is mere speculation on my part and you should take legal advice.

I think the whole loss of privacy thing may be backed up in some areas by development plans seeking retention of mature hedgerows, but I think that relates to stuff in the public domain.

I think you can stop them taking out the whole hedge if things get nasty by issuing a solicitors letter, telling them to restrain themselves to over hanging branches on their side.

Cutting half the boughs/roots could kill the hedge and this is where the legal eagle comes in.

They certainly cannot build the centre of the wall on the boundary if you do not agree to it - I think you can demand that their foundation must be kept wholly on their side and you could be really obstructive if you wanted to be.

I offer the following comment as is, without qualification or endorsement

[broken link removed]

====================================================

Leylandii and the law

In Britain and Ireland, x Cupressocyparis Leylandii is estimated to be the cause of over 20,000 ongoing neighbour disputes. The disputes usually centre on encroachment or the exclusion of sunlight; many of these problems end up in court or worse still, the local accident and emergency room.
Here is the leylandii tree law as it stands in Britain…
• If Leylandii or another form of hedge is encroaching on a neighbour's garden, the neighbours is entitled to trim back the hedge to the boundary themselves, but must return the trimmings to the owner. This law also pertains to Ireland as well. That solves the sideways growth of the tree for a while, next is the upward growth. You are not entitled without permission to reduce your neighbours tree in height, often done to allow extra sunlight to sites. This is where your people skills will be put to the test as you try to convince your neighbour to top his trees or allow you permission to do so.
• In Britain, if the neighbour digs his heels in and stubbornly refuses to reduce the height of the trees or hedge, then you can contact you local council. A complainant must prove they have tried to resolve matters privately first before approaching their local council. If the council deems the hedge excessive, they can ( under the anti-social behavior act 2003 ) order it to be reduced in height to two metres.
• Failure to comply with this order could mean a fine of £1,000.

====================================================

I seem to recall that Dick Roche toyed with the idea of a 2M restriction in legislation but I don't think it ever came to much.

There is obviously a legal confusion here.

Developments have been stopped due to their diminishing the amenity of adjoining sites and I think there is even a BRE Report on it in Britain in relation to how much sunlight a house site should get.

It seems ridiculous that you can grow monster Leylandii hedges [I know of one over 12 ft - 3.6M tall] or worse, two storey Pine Tree boundaries.

Anyway, 'nuff said,

look i'm a builder and have read all the above any case i have been involved in both parties have split the costs 50/50 removal of hedge and building of wall but beaware if you do one side the others must follow i.e back and other side now if you don't want to be looking at a block wall as they can be cold then go for a fence concret also if your neigbhours don't want to loose their fence you'll be left lobsided then there's your excusse for neigbhours

Try and not fall out with the neighbours whatever you do. Go over and have a chat with them and try to reach a compromise.

What's the big deal - how much is it going to cost to cut down a few bushes? Only cost I see is disposing of the "green waste" which isn't going to be much. Maybe point that out to your neightbours.

50:50 is fair. If the neighbours are the ones asking for this then it must be 50:50 across all costs.

Don't forget, one day you too will be old and in possible ill health. It would be good to know that you have understanding neighbours.

I know a wall can look cold and ugly. How about putting up trellis and climbing plants on your side of the wall. You could have it looking very nice with minimal maintenance. On the plus side, you would have more free time with your family and have happy neighbours! You never know when you may have a need to approach them with some other issue.

Best of luck in whatever you choose - remember life is too short for upsetting yourself (and neighbours) over issues such as this.

The op has done enough in offering to maintain the neighbour's side of the hedge which already gives privacy - absolutely no need for a wall if you have proper hedging. I'd rather not fall out with the neighbours but there's no way that I would share the cost of a wall that wasn't necessary - let then build one on their side of the hedge if they want.

Thank you all for your interest. The point about the garden being lopsided after one side is replaced by a wall did not occur to me before. We are very happy with the hedge - but I understand our neighbours concern and are agreed to go 50-50 for all work. They, however, want us to pay for removal and disposal of hedge. That the only difference of opinion between us.

I don't think its practical for some to go cutting someone else hedge on an ongoing basis. Getting on with you neighbours is probably as if not more important than a hedge. Removal of the hedge is not going to be much cost. If you like the hedge, why not replant it your side of the wall, or get them to build the wall on their side.

JOHND has been really fair and reasonable. The total cost of the wall and hedge removal should be 50:50 For the neighbour who is the one who wants the wall to expect JOHND to pay for the hedge to be removed is totally unreasonable.Remember JOHND is perfectly happy with the hedge

I guess then he can enjoy the hedge and fall out with the neighbours.

Totally worth it.

Maybe 75:25 the cost of removing the hedge as a compromise.

You organise removal of hedge and building of wall. Your builder charges a slightly elevated fee for building wall. You receive the value of hedge removal and disposal from builder. You are not out of money, your neighbours see you as a good neighbour. Maybe not 100% honest

Why not chat again with your neighbours and mention the fact if you each pay half you won't have a problem and that seems to be the fairest all round. Hedging takes a lot of looking after to keep it looking nice. I have a lot of hedging and if I was starting over I would never again have it. They sound reasonable people and I'm sure when they think it over they'll hopefully agree. Good neighbours are so important when we sometimes hear stories of people having terrible problems with the neighbours from hell.

You organise removal of hedge and building of wall. Your builder charges a slightly elevated fee for building wall. You receive the value of hedge removal and disposal from builder. You are not out of money, your neighbours see you as a good neighbour. Maybe not 100% honest

Lol.

Back