Neighbour's security light shining into our house

sun_sparks

Apologies if this is the wrong forum, but I figured you knowlegable guys could help us.

We have neighbours in a house backing onto our row who have an extremely bright security light left on 24/7. It went through a period of going on/off (and so we thought perhaps it was broken) but for the past 3 weeks, it's been on constantly. We have a young baby and though she's not at the back of the house, the light lights up our landing and so does filter into her room. Our spare room, which the MIL stays in once a week, is bright even with the blind down and curtains closed and our kitchen is lit up all the time.

We don't really want aggro with neighbours, so I left it for ages in case they were away, but I went around three days ago, just to 'let them know'. Knocked (as the bell seems to have been removed - there were just wires hanging out of the wall) and could see the girl moving around but not answering. Gave her the benefit of the doubt and knocked a couple more times but she just ignored me. Finally, a guy answered (with her hovering behind him), so I'm guessing they may have received other complaints already.

Can't complain about his attitude. He was very apologetic. Said it was broken and he'd fix it tomorrow (when I pointed out the baby, who was with me!). He said he'd take the bulb out. Then winked. I should have known.

3 days later, and it's still shining. I don't have the energy for a row with people (when I have a 4 month old to mind), but I'm just wondering whether there is recourse to action if they keep ignoring complaints? Or should I just put up and shut up and hope that the bulb eventually runs out!!

Apols for the long post.

They must be rich to have one of those lights running day and night!

Send your husband round with a ladder. He should knock, be really friendly and just say to him 'you said you wanted to remove the light bulb and we thought you might not have access to a ladder, so here we are to help you out.'

Just ask him again. Can people not just talk to one another these days?

Or you could seek legal advice :rolleyes:

Hi GarBow, We will try talking to him again, of course, but I didn't get the impression it would work. Forgot to mention that they also have another security light shining full beam at the front of the house too - no idea whether that goes off at night ot not. The reason I was asking re legal recourse was more in case talking gets nowhere - it's obviously good to know where you stand in case nice neighbourly talks don't help.

delgirl - great idea re the ladder, although my poor hubbie is terrified of heights! Still, worth a try.

Hi sunsparks -
It looks to me as if your neighbours have changed the light from a standard lamp to one with motion sensor .
Anyway , we have a lamp front and back as well - One that comes on when movement is detected .

It was blinding one of the neighbours , who started work at 6am , and were unable to sleep because of this .

They brought it to our attention , and we gladly adjusted the security light downwards , to re-direct the glare to the ground , rather than through a neighbours window .

If a quiet word , don't work , I dont know what you should do .

You're all full of useful advice!

Actually it is more like it's gone from being on motion sensor to being on all the time - it's still on at 4 in the morning, for example and doesn't go off at all.

Anyway... still no sign of it going off and it's a week after we asked. I went around again to ask but they weren't there (or were ignoring the knocks again).

So it appears I'll just have to wait and try and catch them again (or find a pellet gun!).

If you don't get anywhere with them you could put up black out blinds - might turn out to be the easiest solution.

Those lights can be adjusted to a different angle. Just ask them if they can dip them down or turn them off when not out the back/side or where ever they shine. Tell him they're driving you nuts and that you have a new born baby and need the sleep but the lights are keeping you awake. If he has any cop on he will do as you ask.

Only alternative I see without getting into an argument is to get black out curtains

There's never an air rifle around when you need one (sigh)...

Find a schoolboy with a catapult?

You could always replace your back light with a really strong light or even get the lend of a strip of lights as used on building sites and set it up to shine in their bedroom window for a few nights while you take a weekend break to yourself. Instead of the cold war you could have the lightwar!! Beat fire with fire, that's the way I would do it. Ignorance pervails.

AFAIK the black out curtains dont work well, We had a similar problem and again I stand to be corrected on this but as earlier poster cemmented they cant be shining upwards and the angle can be adjusted. I would call the Gardai

Just keep calling into them and asking them to turn it off.they will get sick of you and will turn it off.Put a note in their letter box asking them to turn it off again.

Everytime your baby wakes in the middle of the night call round and knock on the door till they answer, a few rounds of this and he wont be long about getting it sorted. Alternatively a nice fat stone can do wonders for pesky lights. HAHA!

With the aid of a long stick adjust the light so it shines downwards or upwards.

Back