Neighbours planning extension

We have always believed the land was ours and the fence a shared boundary
Thinking the land or ground is yours means nothing in the real world. You need to get the relevant legal maps and then get someone (digital land surveyor) to carry out a boundary check to determine where the legal boundary is and not where you "believe" it is. A quick trawl through this web site and others will show the numerous problems that exist with so called "boundaries" being different to where people think they are.

Thank you for all your advice which I have taken on board. We are at present not going ahead with the project after getting a quote twice what was originally quoted by the builder aka their uncle. It feels like wed be part paying theirs too. So back to original worries. We have asked they build no further than their boundary not astriding it which they have agreed to although the bit the juts in is still a sticky issue. We bought house with fence as it is and the jut runs from the side alley right to bottom of garden so a very established line. It's difficult to see on plans though as it starts mid alley. Yes I don't really want extension tbf and only considered doing it together so we didn't have to look at it. But I'm not prepared to pay a silly price for it. So where do I go from here is I guess what I'm asking. I don't want to fight with my neighbours as they are nice if a little selfish at times but I also don't want my land to be put a jeopardy or be intimidated by their builder. I feel this is going to be a fair few months of stress as they also won't give us plans (unwilling to do the) so we can't council their intensions

Should mention too they are planning to do this as cheap as possible so potential to cut corners concerns me greatly too. The bottom of the garden to their side their is a concrete fence post which I have found out was put in by previous occupants of their house when they lowered the back if their garden which runs with the current width of the boundary line. They are trying to say our previous owners changed the boundary to suit them but it now appears their previous owners were also working to current boundaries. I just think their trying anything to gain extra width to their build now. If they dug up our land I worry a court wouldn't be interested due to the size of land in question but if they did unlawfully take our land it would mean a complete breakdown in relations

You need an engineer or surveyor to advise you on the ground and can look at next doors plans and speak to the builder and understand exactly what is going on.

There's only so much you can get across in text on a forum.

Back