Neighbours installed cables in my garden

dub_nerd

The neighbours have been building an extension for four years (!) and have not been in residence throughout this entire time. They adjoin us on a terrace. Three months ago their builder arrived in our front garden, ran Sky dish and Eir fibre cables (with the Open Eir installers in attendance) down the side of their external insulation, into our garden and drilled a hole through the dividing wall to route back into their own garden and through the front of their house. Having caught the builder in the act I told him that he was stringing cable through a flower bed that just happened to have been cut back at the time. He mumbled something about installing trunking and disappeared.

Three months later, cables are still flapping loosely and are literally trailing through a four-foot high fuschia bush that I can't cut without risk to their cables. More to the point, I plan to change the level of the garden which is also prevented by their cables.

I finally resorted to a call to a solicitor who suggested just telling them to take the cables out. Problem is, I have no way of contacting them for a "neighbourly chat". I would have been perfectly happy to accommodate them if possible and some sensible solution was proposed, but no permission was asked and based on other precedents have no confidence that they would be accommodating in return if changes were required. Nor do I fancy being responsible for their cables if any damage occurred (I've already accidentally cut my own more than once).

Would love to avoid general unpleasantness but can't think of many options. Any advice?

Last edited:
Cut your bushes and accidentally on purpose cut the cables. They will have to then get them rerun and then refuse to allow the rerun on your property. If the cables are rerun while you are not at home repeat the process.They are not dangerous cables but just to be sure use an insulated pliers to cut them.

The cables are not your neighbours even if it was their builder who ran them through your property. If they belong to sky or eir, maybe contact them to move them over to the neighbours side.

I finally resorted to a call to a solicitor who suggested just telling them to take the cables out. Problem is, I have no way of contacting them for a "neighbourly chat". I would have been perfectly happy to accommodate them if possible and some sensible solution was proposed, but no permission was asked and based on other precedents have no confidence that they would be accommodating in return if changes were required. Nor do I fancy being responsible for their cables if any damage occurred (I've already accidentally cut my own more than once).

Would love to avoid general unpleasantness but can't think of many options. Any advice?
I had this problem with Virgin, contacted them more than a dozen times about removing their cables from my house and was ignored each time,
Until I cut both cables front and back of my house and that had them knocking on my door within a few hours and cables gone a couple of months later

Even though you don't want any "general unpleasantness" cutting the cables that are on your property without permission will get the ball rolling!!

if they're not in residence, just cut the cables (assuming you're sure they're not live electricity cables). They won't even notice until they move in.

Cutting the cables is not the answer . It creates two problems. 1, it won't improve your relationship with your neighbor. 2 , you could be billed for damage to the cables . A phone call to Eir or whoever ran the cables is the answer. Pity you didn't stop the builder when they were running the cables at the time which you were entitled to do as they were in your property .

1. The neighbours haven’t been there for four years so what relationship? 2. You might be billed for the cables (you won’t) but paying such a bill is a different matter. Cut away. Sometimes with these sort of people, direct action is the only thing that gets through!

I finally resorted to a call to a solicitor who suggested just telling them to take the cables out. Problem is, I have no way of contacting them for a "neighbourly chat".
TBH this sounds odd.

You really don’t know the identity of the owners of the adjoining house in a terrace? Did you never see names on planning applications? Never did a folio search on land direct.ie? Never talked to previous owners even? Or the neighbours on the other side?

I’m also sure the builder would put you in touch if asked.

Might be worth dropping a letter in, and asking why it was necessary in the first place. Eir I *might* understand if there was a trunk running through, but there is no reason why satellite cabling should need to run through your place.

Back