Neighbours hedge causing problem

Guby

Hi,

Boring I know but my neighbours grissilinia hedge is about 18 feet high. I spent all day cutting the overhang in our garden. It was really scary, on top of a ladder. I now have to dispose of cuttings, multiple trips to recycling centre. The hedge is at the end of our smallish garden on his side of the boundary. I have asked him if I can cut the height even by a couple of feet but he says no. I am middle aged and finding it difficult to cut it as I get older. I could hire someone to do it but reckon it would be expensive and it's not my hedge! Its about 35 ft wide. I am thinking of going to a solicitor. Any advice would be really appreciated. Has the owner of the hedge no responsibility in this?

guby

Yes, I believe the owner of the hedge has responsibility to ensure that it doesn't encroach on your land. There is a thread here on a slightly different topic (in that the tree in question was actually on OP's land) but may be of help. I think you can have your neighbour deal with the overhang only - not the height.

Sprite

I think you will have to balance the inconvenience of the hedge with possibly a bitter battle legal wise with your neighbour. I recall in the U K there has been many nasty happenings about hedges so my advice is that unless it is a very major problem i would try and coax him/her in the matter

Thanks for response but my major concern is the safety element in us cutting it. Grisselinia grows quickly and often so it cannot just be left. I have asked if I can or if he would cut even a couple of feet off the height but he says no. I was told just last night by a friend that if you go to a solicitor and subsequently try to sell your house that any legal correspondence relating to it has to be shown to a prospective buyer. Not good.
It seems so unfair that we have the difficult and dangerous job of cutting an 18ft high hedge that we don't own and the only alternative is to pay someone to do it. I think my only option is to get advice from a solicitor. I can get the advice and then decide if I want to take action.

guby

Could you cut the branches that hang over your wall low down leaving just the branches that are on his side that he will maintain. My dads neighbour did this recently to my Dad's much shorter hedge so basically the hedge is now much thinner at the top but the neighbour won't have to cut it again for ages. Didn't bother my Dad either.

I'm open to correction on this one but I think that if a tree / hedge encroaches on your property you are entitled to cut off the offending parts on your property but also to return what you have cut to them for disposal..... if your neighbour gets the trimmings back regularly to dispose of & has to make the trips to the recycling centre themselves to dispose of them they may be more willing to come to an agreement with you

Back