Neighbour's Extension

Priory

Our neighbour's are extending at the moment. I didn't have any problem with it. The wall of the new extension has been built right on the boarder of the gardens.The slates of the roof, fascia soffit, etc hang into our garden by about a foot. Again, doesn't bother me in the slightest.
But will I have any problems over it when selling in the future?

Yes you may, when I bulit my extension brickie started doing dividing wall between us and neighbour and it meant slates would be over hanging by about a foot,a family friend in the trade saw this and advised he restart and us a parapit wall so no slates would be overhanging, brickie had to take down some of the blocks already layed. if I had not done that if I had a disagrrement with neighbours who are great by the way but Murphy's law and all that, they could have made me take the slates which over hang their land. It was also suggested at the time for me actually to buy that foot of land of my neighbour, I dont think the land part would have been expensive but more the legal side. So if this is already done then the problem is really with him and not you if nothing is in writing to state that he had got permission to overhang your land. If you sold your house the new owners could make him take it down I think. he would have issues if he was to sell his house. so I think he needs to sort this out with you.

Thanks, Dodo.
That is what I thought. Can't believe I was so casual about the whole thing!! Not like me at all!
What should I do? I mean the overhang is on my land. It's all done. Ask them to take it down!!??

It is your neighbour who will have issues selling, if you where to sell buyer would know this before buying your house. But now thinking if I was you I would get in writing if you or any future owner of your house decides to build an extension .That you would be allowed to remove over hang if it was causing issues for your extension and it would be blended in with your extension. get a builder friend you know to look at it and ask him what issues could arise if you decided to build extension. Remember the ball is in your court you could make him take the over hang down, so now you should have this sorted by legel means if that needs to be done, and he should pay for this.The worst thing you could do now is say nothing

Called in next door last night, Dodo.
Neighbour has agreed to take down overhang, leaving only the water shoot on our side. Happy days!
What a valuable site this is!!

Back