Neighbour's dog pooing on my doorstep

I dont think a size 11 boot, a shotgun or a bucket of cold water is the way to go. A dog has feelings just like us humans and as sustanon has rightly said its down to the owner. The poor dog does nt realise what its doing wrong but the owner should keep the dog in an enclosed space and give it regular walks. So many people have dogs and have no interest whatsoever in them which is very sad, I'm not saying this owner is like that, hopefully the dog is well looked after other than that.

I had a similar problem but solved it! I got some horse poo from a local stable and placed it in the area the dog was using. OK it didnt look great but didnt smell and rotted away nicely and to date, no more dog poo! They get put off it they reckon theres a creature larger than them also using the area as a toilet?

I had a similar problem but solved it! I got some horse poo from a local stable and placed it in the area the dog was using. OK it didnt look great but didnt smell and rotted away nicely and to date, no more dog poo! They get put off it they reckon theres a creature larger than them also using the area as a toilet?

Great idea Tinkerbell. Will definitely give that a try!

The law is simple, if the dog is outside your property it should be on a lead and you should clean up after it.
The law doesn't say the dog must be on a lead. The law says the dog must be 'under control'. If the dog is routinely out on its own, i.e. not under control, then it's time to talk to the owners or to to the dog warden.

10 days have elapsed since your first post.

Have you "collared" the K9 owner about this yet?

10 days have elapsed since your first post.

Have you "collared" the K9 owner about this yet?

No I haven't Steiner but mainly because I haven't actually witnessed the dog doing the deed so I'm wary of accusing the wrong neighbour. I have to live beside them after all!

doggy doo

dotcom maybe the dog is trying to tell you that he likes your house best and he might be in need of a new owner!! Forget the poo and just think of the unconditional love that doggy will give you. Just give him a little attention and a nice bowl of food and you have a friend for life.

Actually there may be some sense to this post lol I have heard that dogs do not like to 'go' where they eat so maybe placing a nice bowl of dog food out in that particular area for a while may deter him from uing it as his loo in the future! Might be worth a try! Best of luck!

Thats true louisemartin, dogs usually stay well clear of their own patch when pooing. So hopefully if dotcom will provide the food doggy will oblige and everyones happy!

A dog has feelings just like us humans

While I agree that hurting the dog isn't the thing to do suggesting that they have feelings "just like us humans" isn't true either. They are dogs, not people. I have a dog, I love dogs and would never hurt or unless it was a danger to a person (or my dog) but they won't get emotional and upset if you spray them with your garden hose. It won't damage their self esteem; they won't feel that they can't face the neighbours after the embarrassment or anything like that.

Scent Off or a product like it is the best option. That or a CCTV camera :D

Don't think they would enjoy being sprayed by garden hose. I would'nt get emotional or upset if somebody sprayed me with one but I certainly would'nt like it either.

Thanks very much everyone for all the suggestions. The problem seems to have stopped for the moment. I'm not sure why. Maybe my neighbours have been following the posts on askaboutmoney :) Whatever the reason, I'm delighted not to have to clean dog poo from my doorstep every other day.

I happened to be in my living room this evening that overlooks a green area. I saw a man with a dog and his child and friend of child standing looking at the dog defecate on the green. They promptly moved on and went home without picking up the litter.

To be honest, I was completely shocked. The parent displayed a total disregard for the health and safety of young children on the green - including his own child.

I can see why the OP would be incensed.

Marion

With Johnjay all the way on this one - A size 11 boot & the shotgun- Your only man

I have this problem with neighbour's dogs too (to be honest it is the least of my problems with the neighbours though!) I think speaking to them is the best starting point, and yes, mention the toxic substances you regularly spread for pest control or weed control etc. that way you can make it as neighbourly as possible, not mention the pooh at all, and stay on good terms which is always the best option.
JohnJay, I don't think advocating animal abuse like kicking dogs is at all in order. It is not the dogs fault, he doesn't recognise human fences and is just being a dog. It is his owner's who are to blame, and abusing the dog is not helping anyone. You are also mistaken as regards the legality of a dog having to be on a lead when off the owner's property. The control of dogs act states that a dog should be under control, not on a lead. There is no obligation in this country to keep a dog on a lead unless it is of a breed or crossbreed from the restricted breeds list.
This dog, and no dog, should be allowed to wander, there I am sure we all agree. It is illegal to allow a dog to wander unsupervised and not under control. It is absolutely legal to walk a dog without a lead, so long as you pick up the pooh and have the dog under control. I have four and 2 need leads to control them. The other two do not.

Back