Neighbours Dog barking 12 hours a day

bullworth

My neighbours dog is literally driving me around the bend and has been for weeks. I spoke with my neighbour but my neighbour seems a bit thick and just leaves the dog out in the back garden all the time. I never saw the dog being taken for a walk ever. If you sat in my kitchen it would be like a squeaky wheel constantly irritating your ear drums. The dog is only ever quiet when it is taken indoors and the neighbour seems to rarely do this except at night sometimes even after midnight. any suggestions about what I can do about this problem if the Neighbour proves impossible to reason with ? I think it will become ridiculous if I have to knock on the neighbours door a few times a week to ask them to take their dog in. This dog has a strange high pitched whine that really gets on my nerves. Any advice ? I love dogs in general but in the end if they won't be responsible for their noise pollution and allow me to enjoy my property which I take responsibility for then I will do anything I can otherwise I may as well move into an asylum.

Very annoying bullworth, one of my neighbours keeps leaving a very young jack russell out on their balcony, and the dog is terrified (Im not surprised because its small enough to go between the bars and fall off), and it yips in distress for hours until they take it back in. I have said it to them and the girl who answered apologised and said she had just put the dog out while she mopped the floors - 4 times in one day for up to 2 hours at a time?

Anyway, back to your issue. I think all you can do to start is to call in a few times and point out the dog is barking and its very irritating. Then after that you need to be following the usual advice for noise pollution, keeping a record, contacting the guards for advice, same for TDs and possibly going down the road of going to the district court on it.

What about the neighbour on the other side and behind the barking dog house? If a few of ye are being annoyed maybe a number of people calling in to complain might get through to the thick neighbour?

I have been using earplugs to block out the one that I can hear - but I will be complaining to the management company if it continues.

I was speaking to someone a while ago who told me that they received a letter from their local Council warning them about their dog barking. It appeared that neighbours had made an official complaint to the Council and they were acting on this.

The following is taken from [broken link removed] so perhaps other Council's have something similar:

Dog Barking Complaint

The Air Pollution Monitoring & Noise Control Unit does not deal with complaints about dogs barking. The Culture & Recreation Department can deal with this complaint under the Dog Control Act. They can be contacted through the Customer Services Section at (01) 222 2222.

Is there a way to get them to deal with the problem without involving my name being made public ? I don't want to make the relationship worse as I have to live next to them.

Probably not - -we all have a right under natural justice to see our accusers.

You politely inform this to your neighbor, problem will be automatically solved.

The OP has already spoken to his neighbour to no avail.

Bullworth - I wouldnt be bothered at all about them knowing it was me complaining. Sure they already know youre not happy if youve spoken to them and theyve chosen to ignore that - they dont seem pushed about how they are behaving towards you so why would you be pushed about a legitimate complaint about them? Dont forget that you have given them an opportunity to resolve things and they have chosen not to take it.

Probably not - -we all have a right under natural justice to see our accusers.

well I wasn't thinking along the lines of unsubstantiated accusations from one person. I was thinking along the lines of e.g if someone from the local council could call around and measure the noise then they will see the absolute proof that there is noise pollution affecting the public health of the whole neighbourhood and can then send a warning to them to be less noisy. I was hoping it wouldn't get into a ''me directly pressing charges against someone'' scenario and was hoping that the highly paid public servants would do their job in the public interest to mediate and take away the possibilities of personal conflict between neighbours. Of course this depends what powers they have been given. Have they broken no law unless a member of the public complains first ? That would not be the case with something like e.g illegal dumping.

What if a number of neighbours got together and approached them again about the noise. Do they not mind the barking themselves when they are home for instance at week-ends etc, Is the dog as noisy when they are at home? Do they really need or love the dog?

The country is full of dogs couped up in small yards and never getting exercised. the ones that are, as far as I can see are brought to public areas to defecate. Irish people don't seem to have grasped the concept of communal living and generally seem to treat people around them with outrageous rudeness\contempt.

There is some kind of subconcious connection with couples, buy a house, get a dog have kids.

For the OP writing letters to people like that will have no effect.

What was that old joke? Of yeah, bring their dog into your back garden and see how they like it....

Back