Neighbourly obligations

Maryar

hi - wanted to see if anyone could help. Am putting up a sunroom and they have started today - quiet enough and outside there is only a skip and an extra car for the workers. Thats all. I told immediate neighbours on both sides but today saw a neighbour from few doors down coming up and tutting and shaking his head at the skip. He was gone before I could go out. What should my obligations be in informing neighbours!? Should I go 5 dooors either way and tell neighbours at the back!? we are new to the estate and haven't had any opportunity to talk to the neighbours as we both work etc. Don't want to upset anyone but don't know what our obligations are! Any advice??

tell him to piss off...you've done thte right thing in informing the immediates....what does he expect a neighbourhood meeting.

He could have been tutting and shaking his head about anything? Maybe he thought "this skip is from that bloody company I used before and they were awful", or "look at all the good things they are throwing out" etc.

Unless he comes and makes a specific point to you then dont worry about it. Its not that important if he isnt going to talk to you directly.

thanks a mil for the advice! was getting paranoid there today thinking oh no maybe we needed to send out a letter to the whole road! i didnt want the first interactions with the neighbours to be a bad one.

Maryar said:
...but don't know what our obligations are! Any advice??

While I fully agree with the above approach, it's none of his business.... you may be happier looking at it from another angle.
What would you expect? Would you be upset if someone three/five/ten doors up didn't notify you of some work with the level of disruption you're causing?

Your "obligations" are nill, your neighbourly effort informing your immediate neighbour seems perfect and if you have one or two upset curtain twitchers around... I'd suggest if it wasn't this they were upset over it'd be something else.

I'd consider it an "all of the people, all of the time" moment and not lose to many minutes thinking of it.

It could be a case of Tayto, i.e. 'There's always one', or as somone else has said, he could have been miffed for any number of other reasons.

I wouldn't be overly concerned, as long as the skip is not causing an onstruction of some sort.

I agree with the other replies. What the hell has it got to do with a neighbour five doors up if you have a skip outside your house.

Yeah thanks all. No the skip is in our parking space where one of our cars normally is. I just felt a bit bad as we never talked to these neighbours - when we first moved in I was going to go down and knock on their doors and introduce ourselves but felt like a bit of a pleb. Hi Im your new neighbours and now we are 3 months here so its a bit late ! I dont understand the whole new neighbour etiquette!

Hi Maryar

I agree with the above posters - ignore the man. He's far enough away from you that you are not obliged to inform him of anything. Sure maybe he'd just chucked some rubbish in your skip, saw you looking and started tut-tutting as a cover up ;)

There are so many skips on our road that it's become commonplace and at the end of the day, all the work will benefit the road so it'll all be good. Nosy neighbours are irritating but can have their uses ...

M

I find just talking to your immediate neighbours as being the most common thing. I have swapped phone numbers with one of them so that if eithers alarm is going off then a quick text message can let each other know. I certainly wouldnt going around to houses 3 or more doors down to introduce myself. Who really cares, its a big estate, people come and go.

From personal experience, I think neighbours regard a skip as something of a local amenity to be used at will.

if he was annoyed, it may be because he'd just got gone to some trouble to rid of some heavy duty rubbish and was annoyed that you didn't let him know you were getting one so he could have dumped it in yours instead.

Some people have a cheek, eh? I wouldn't bother worrying about this thing, it's so minor and really nobody else's business. My neighbour regularly has two buses and a taxi parked in the turning area at the end of the cul de sac in our estate. He asked me did I mind, what could i say? I don't like the look of the 35 seater parked there all day and it obstructs the refuse collection lorry and could impede the fire brigade in an emergency, but I just want to keep the peace. You situation is no comparison.

Many skips are placed directly on the footpath causing pedestrians to walk on the road. If the skips are placed on the road and have no reflective stickers then cars can hit them at night. What is the answer? Half on the road and half on the footpath? Not so long ago there was a big hullabaloo when some poor unfortunates were killed when their car crashed in to a skip on the road. The waste companies were required to tidy up their act and put reflective stickers on them. A lot of these need replacement some years on...does anybody regulate these things?

Grizzly said:
Many skips are placed directly on the footpath causing pedestrians to walk on the road. If the skips are placed on the road and have no reflective stickers then cars can hit them at night. What is the answer? Half on the road and half on the footpath?

How about in the driveway of the person that hired it - then it doesn't inconvenience anybody else.

Yes we tried that one alright, then realised we couldn't get out of the garden without hopping over neighbours wall, 8 month pregnant with two kids in tow.

Ha don't worry about it. Our neighbour has complained us to the residents association for having rubble from a renovation project stored completely on our property at the side of our house for a week while waiting for the skip. Very annoyed but what can you do. Couldn't be bothered debating it with them. Do your job and don't worry about these people.

Someone once warned me when I was moving to a new estate not to get too friendly with my immediate neighbours because we would more than likely eventually fall out over something and the fallout would be worse for 'friend-neighbours' rather than just neighbours. They said to be polite and civil and attend the odd social occasion but otherwise stay independent.

What do ye think of that advice ?

Total agree with that advice Teabag. My mum said the exact same thing to me before we moved into our house.

Our immediate next door neighbour is a nosy git who knows everyones business. During our first conversation with him he was able to tell us what everyone around did for a living, where they were from etc, even though he'd only been in for a few weeks...that put me right off him. He's full of questions and even tried to find out how much we earn.:eek: ...probably so he could gossip to the rest of the neighbourhood. We just say hi, how are things and leave it at that. Pretty much the same for the rest of the neighbours too.

Teabag said:
Someone once warned me when I was moving to a new estate not to get too friendly with my immediate neighbours because we would more than likely eventually fall out over something and the fallout would be worse for 'friend-neighbours' rather than just neighbours. They said to be polite and civil and attend the odd social occasion but otherwise stay independent.

What do ye think of that advice ?

Good fences make good neighbours.

Back