Neighbour From Hell Objecting To Exempted Development

orbison

I recently bought a mid terrace property in Dublin that has an old extension to the rear (18 square meters) that i'm proposing to knock and replace with a bigger single story extension (28 square meters) while retaining 30 square meters of open space to the rear of the property. The neighbours either side are happy enough but have warned me about another neighbour living further up the terrace (4/5 doors up) who apparently complains about any development that takes place within the estate.

Since my building requirements are very straight forward (2 new walls within my own boundary and a set of sliding doors to accommodate a new dining area), I hired a local structural engineer instead of an architect. The engineer is insisting the development is exempt, however, i'm worried about neighbour lodging complaints with the local council once building work starts. If i'm planning to build within the exempted development guidelines, is there any way the neighbour 4/5 doors up can object to my single story extension?

Hi,

I'm not an expert but you could apply for a Section 5 referral or an Exemption Declaration. This is a letter from the planning authority confirming the works are exempt.
You will have to pay a relatively small fee but it might be worth it in your case.

Best of luck with your project.

Of course they can object but people need to realise anyone objecting better have good grounds for doing so. Some individuals are serial objectors and never get anywhere with their petty jealousies and chip on the shoulder attitudes. I wouldn't worry too much about them and would pay heed to the engineers advice.

As @2bmortgagefree says above, seek a Section 5 Declaration from your LA (example, will cost you €80). If they sign-off that you are exempt, then there can be no grounds for the neighbour to contest.

There is no public consultation element in that process, so the crank doesn't get to object. If they want to complain after seeing your work start, they can make a complaint to the LA, but that is very different to a planning submission or objection.

Back