Neighbour dog barking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumpstartdublin

friend was telling me this morning that they stay in their holiday home at weekends due to neighbour dog barking! Is there anything they can do- obviously they do not want to confront the neighbour again ... Is there any technology available that could help ?

I have the same problem and I researched every one of those electronic type thingies for stopping dogs barking and read hundreds of reviews. Not one of them seemed to actually work long term, initially the dog might stop but got used to it and started again. I could actually get a unit on the adjoining wall which is feet away from the dog but none of them seemed to be a sure thing. The little feck of a dog followed someone right to my front door today barking at them continuously, I'm sure they thought it was my dog.

If anyone finds one that will definitely work let us all know :(

I had this problem one summer with the people who were renting the house next door to me, when I talked to them first they were very apologetic but by the third time they were accusing me of been unreasonable about their dogs barking non stop from when they left for work till they returned in the evening.
I talked to my other neighbours and they all agreed enough is enough and we all called into the neighbour to tell them their dogs barking was at an unacceptable level.
Unfortunately before I could get the local council involved they moved.

Your local council has a procedure in place for dealing with these type of cases, I would advise you use them to sort out the neighbours dogs

Thank you. Appears they contacted the council and they must commence a complaint to district court for noise pollution. Council will not bring the case.

I have a family member a dog warden, basically other than have a word as a favour there is nothing they can do.

I see you said they didn't want to, "confront their neighbour again". Obviously it's a problem if nothing was done the first time and, personally I would call again, make it plain and direct that it's not nice and they're expected to solve the nuisance. After that one can do quite a lot to stop it but maybe some of the methods might be said to be taking matters into one's own hands

Get a water spray and squirt the dog if they bark/follow you. You're not doing any harm to dog, just teaching them barking is not a good thing to do.

If the dog is annoying you, you can be sure that the dog is annoying others also. If you do the complaining, the dog-owners will assume that every piece of negativity came only from you. Sit tight, let other neighbours bite the bullet and better again if they keep biting the bullet. Sooner or later the RSPCA or the Gardaí will be called probably on the quiet so don't get labelled as the person who grassed. In Ireland situations like this can obtain undeserved support for the dog owners like they are the victims.

The little feck of a dog followed someone right to my front door today barking at them continuously, I'm sure they thought it was my dog.

Are other people's dogs allowed onto your property, surely the dog warden can do something about that.

How do you stop him! There are no gates and he lives just next door so when they let him out whenever he mainly sticks to the road outside his house but if someone walks in my drive he considers it fair game.

Short of totally falling out with the neighbours there is nothing much I can do, small town and all that. It never bothered me when I was working obviously as I didn't hear it all day, now any work I do is from home so I hear it. Not as big an issue in winter as I presume he's indoors a lot as am I.

Don't I know :) He lives very near the main road, I hate to wish bad things on him but human nature and all that.......

Don't I know :) He lives very near the main road, I hate to wish bad things on him but human nature and all that.......

Well I'd be proactive in that regard. You're entitled to your peace and quiet. I'd be asking my neighbour once and only once to kindly sort out the issue. If they are not reasonable people well.............

I wouldn't agree with Lepers opinion of waiting for another neighbour to tackle this, like you the issue only arose during the summer when the dogs were left in their back garden all day long. None of my neighbours were willing to take the first step, but when I asked them about the barking they all had an issue with it but didn't want to talk to the neighbour for fear that it would lead to bad feelings from the neighbour with the dogs.

Monbretia they way I see it you have 2 choices
1. Talk to your neighbour and if nothing happens talk again but get more neighbours involved.
2. Buy a set of ear plugs and ankle protectors and forget about it.

Personally speaking if your neighbours cant or wont control their dog they are showing little or no respect to you as a neighbour and should be dealt with accordingly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back