Neighbour digging...what could it be?

amtc

My parents have neighbours that have only just moved in so they don't really know them. What interaction they have had hasn't been great as they block my parents driveway.

They have dug a huge hole say 10 x 10 feet and 6 feet down at the end of their garden. It's only a normal semi d garden. My dad only spotted it when looking out of the upstairs window. It's got blocks lining it

We were wondering what on earth it could be for? Any ideas?

They're going to murder their neighbours and bury them in it?

Actually my neighbours have dug a massive hole all around the side or their house this last week, we think it's new pipes or something like that.

Well there was no planning notice up. My dad has knowledge of this area and reckon it needs it as the house was previously extended to what you're allowed with an extension. The big shed at end of garden has a bar in it and goes right across the back wall. This hole is a mystery. I'm going up there myself today to visit my parents so will have a nose! I actually get on ok with neighbours so I may just ask!

Well there was no planning notice up. My dad has knowledge of this area and reckon it needs it as the house was previously extended to what you're allowed with an extension. The big shed at end of garden has a bar in it and goes right across the back wall. This hole is a mystery. I'm going up there myself today to visit my parents so will have a nose! I actually get on ok with neighbours so I may just ask!

Really, I am glad I don't have you as a neighbour. It is none of your business whether that house has planning or not.

That's definitely it.

Why don't you start digging a hole of your own and see how they respond?

Brendan

You need a sense of humour Brendan.
Irish people tend to want to know everything anyway but not tell you anything and if the people are inside the law it's none of the other persons business. He doesn't even live there.

Reactions: jim
Recessed seating area, hot tub or fish pond are the most likely options.

Really, I am glad I don't have you as a neighbour. It is none of your business whether that house has planning or not.

This actually isn't true. I've seen people build the most appalling structures close to properties outside the planning rules and also with no planning and sometimes with planning but moving it a 'bit'. Too late when it's up.

I'm going up there myself today to visit my parents so will have a nose! I actually get on ok with neighbours so I may just ask!

I just love the idea of a hot tub in Ireland. Anyway please ask them Amtc, tell them Bronte from AAM wants to know, as does yourself, BB, Leo, Noproblem etc.

And more importantly despite pretending otherside Delfio wants to know too.

Last edited:
I had an extension built recently that didn't require planning. But I called round to all my neighbours in the cul de sac in advance to give them the heads up, advise they're might be some noise, extra traffic. Good manners I'd have thought.

In this case, if they're laying drainage etc, then all good and fine. No need to advise the neighbours.
If they start building anything of note, then there could be issues. And I would have expected some notice of that

I'd like a recessed seating area, great idea! I have a sunken patio though and no drainage was put in so that's a bit of a pain, you'd need good drainage for a seating area. Must go out now and see if there is a spot in my garden where I could do that :)

amtc. Was it your parents who had a neighbour call on a Sunday because your Dad was cutting his grass? How did that turn out?

Back