Neighbour changed a window to doorway - opens into my property

mercantilist...

your opinions are informed from very incorrect avenues...

you cannot just escape and trespass onto property.... is the property owner responsible if your egress isnt safe?.... no.. is the answer.

if the op plonks a garden shed in front of this door and people are trapped because of it, this would not be the responsibility of the op, its the responsibility of the sack that told people to escape to an area that isnt sancitioned..

Are you a judge or something? Show me the Act of Oireachteas that says converting a window to a door is "illegal"
http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2000/en/act/pub/0030/index.html

OP:
They claim that the window was originally once a doorway, but my family has been lived on the farm for over 50 years and there was never a doorway there.
Even if there once was a door here, by blocking it up they have shown an intention to extinguish an easement and so the easement would be extinguished.

If that is the point, then why didnt the OP make it?
Probably because the room where the conferences are in, doesnt have one of the other 3 walls as an external wall.

But I didn't say it was the point. But asking a question to get to the point. Why would someone choose to have an emergency exit that they can't control if it can be used. If the neighbour puts something on their land at the exit, it is blocked. Does that mean the neighbour can't use his own land as they want? That can't be right. The only think that would make sense is that an emergency exit must have enough space around it so that it can be used. In this case they can't control the space outside the door so they should have moved it do somewhere they can.

Im slightly shocked by how mean and un-neighbourly you all are. Why would you not want the people in that building to escape from fire over your land? Would you prefer them to burn to death?

LOL:D:D:D

He has converted what was a window opening into a doorway (which open inwards to his building), which now means that access from his building is directly out into my field.

The reason they have done this is so they can have a fire escape

If this door was a fire door for a property it would be opening out not in.

The neighbour isnt putting in a door, hes putting in a Fire Door. If if was a regular door, I would agree with you.

As you can see from above you must agree with the other posters since this door is not a fire door.

Last edited by a moderator:
The guy is pulling a major fast one here. unbelievable that some people on here think its acceptable to put a door that opens on to someone elses property. Amazing.

The facts as stated by the OP is that he doesnt want people escaping from fire through his land, which according to my set of values makes him a very mean and nasty person.

Looks like you're just trolling here... It's up to the owner of the business in question to enuse their patrons have a safe means of exit in the event of a fire, expecting the OP to provide this is 'mean and nasty'!
Leo

Back