Negotiating Starting Salary

lola1979

Hi All

I have an interview next week and am looking for some advice. My current salary is circa 60K and I have a lot of flexibility in my position, summers off, long holidays etc. The only problem is that it is not permanent.

I have secured an interview for next week (although my application was 10 days late, apparently the manager was very keen to see me!). The trouble is that the salary is 40K - so a massive pay cut and I would also loose the flexibility that I have now, it would also mean a 3 hour round trip every day.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, from the job spec it seems that the pay is way too low for whats expected, it seems more like 2 jobs than one, and my experience is very niche also (its the only reason I got the interview in the first place!)

Lola

The only problem is that it is not permanent.
What do you mean by this? Do you have an end date? Or is it just that there is no certainty? 3 hours travel is a slog, I wouldn't do it. Unless the end is nigh for the current job then I wouldn't change.

Your new job won’t be permanent in any meaningful way ‘till you are there a year. A lot can happen in a year.
Also, three hours a day commute; Ouch!

Back