Negative head pump - technical & practical questions

upgrader

Hello

I will be moving into a new 2 storey house in June.The hotpress is downstairs,there will be an electric shower in the ensuite and a power shower in the main bathroom.

The on-site plumber has told me I need a negative head pump in the hotpress,but another plumber told me I dont and a pumped power shower(the pump is in the shower unit) would do in the bathroom,can anyone enlighten me.
Also,the on-site plumber said I cannot have a pumped power shower when a pump has to go in the hotpress and I would have to go for a mixer valve type shower,is this true?

If I need a negative head pump,what type should I go for and where should I look?Also,what type of mixer valve type shower should I go for?

If I can go the route of a pumped power shower,any recommendations?

Thanks

Re: Negative Head pump - technical & practical questions!!

Im open to correction on this, but i recall from my student days working on building sites that you need a negative head pump if the water tank is below the level of the shower..logical really...gravity and all that. Even if you have a power shower, if the water tank is below the level of the unit, then the water wont get to it...unless its some kind of fancy new water that runs up hills. Of course if there is pressure there, just very very bad, then a power shower will do..

Most of the negative head pumps i ever seen were aqualisa i think...u can get them them in any bilders suppliers...heatmerchants (also go by tubs and tiles i think) are agood place to go for avice and wide range

electric shower in the ensuite - I presume u mean hot water electric heater without pump

power shower in the main bathroom. - I presume u mean an in shower pump with the hot water coming from the hot press

If so your house has been badly designed. I would'nt accept this. If the hotpress is down stairs you have no choice - u need a negative head shower pump in the hotpress and will set u back excess 500 euro. Stuart Turner are a popular brand, try NJ Power in Walkinstown. You should have a 'combi' tank installed also. This is cold water storage above and hot water cylinder below. Reason being it is against regulations to pump cold water directly from mains, anyway if mains pressure is low your pump could cavitate causing it damage.

With this system in place you put your hot water cylinder on a timer and you eliminate the need for the power shower and also the electric shower. A mixer valve would be used in both cases.

To summarise your home is incorrectly plumbed. I would ensure your builder rectifies as above. At a very minimum get a credit for devices in both bathrooms and get a plumber to ammend as stated.

Thanks for the replies Collieb & Badabing (both are interesting names!)

With my new house I requested that the hotpress would be downstairs (I saw it in another house,it creates more room upstairs and we have a very big utility so it fits well there),but it is only now that I have realise that the devil is in the detail!

Both of ye have confirmed that I definitely need a negative head pump,but can I have a power shower (an in shower pump with the hot water coming from the hot press).I have been told that I cant and my only option is a mixer valve,any ideas of what make of mixer valve I should go for?

Cheers

Have you thought about going for a pressurised water system? It would save a lot of the work and material you've described. As long as the plumber is in the area ask him for the proposed water pressure, if it's already connected he/she could meassure it. Once it's strong enough , above 1 bar or better 1.5 bar, you could install a pressurised water system.

Back