Need witnesses to will

The main advantage of a will drawn up by a solicitor is that, in the first instance, you are actually receiving formal legal advice. A testator may believe that their draft will is legally sound. However, a solicitor will advise you on whether or not this is so and may be able to give you additional advice on matters of which you may be unaware.

Secondly, if the solicitor and anyone else in the practice witness the testator's signature that will have credibility in the event that the will is contested. Imagine chasing up Ernie - the fastest milkman in the West - to give evidence that he witnessed the testator's signature one morning on his rounds 25 years ago. No thanks.

Given what is at stake in a will and the utterly horrendous problems which can follow if it is not drawn up validly a fee of €100 is exceptionally good value for advice and drafting.

One thing that I have realised over the last number of years as I dealt with a few family estates is this nonsense of not telling your executors they have being picked by you. Some people are just not suited to the task. One I recall had both only finding out after the person has died and one of them did not have a clue. my advise is pick your executors wisely and even discuss it with them before you plan to leave this third rock from the sun

Consider joining a Credit Union - plenty have free will writing services with a specific solicitor. Otherwise spend the 100€ that at some stage when you're dead you will be giving away in your will!!!

Consider joining a Credit Union - plenty have free will writing services with a specific solicitor.

I advise my clients to avoid using solicitors and other professionals referred to them by financial institutions. If you end up in bother, you need to have them working for you, not the financial institution.

Last edited:
Back