Need to rehome a boxer dog

roxy

Hi guys, me again.

I need to rehome a boxer pup (10 months). He has been rehomed with a family we found through an advert in the vets for the last week but they want us to take him back. We only had him for a few weeks before this and cannot give him back to the people who gave him to us. We got him to keep our 3 year old boxer company during the day, however she is very lazy whereas he is very active and they weren't getting on. She was also getting very jealous of him if we gave him any attention and would take his ball off him, treats etc. So this is why we rehomed him, felt it would be better to keep her on his own. However this family had a small, nice back garden with pots and shrubs etc in it and lets just say the dog didn't like them! So what do I do now, I had the notice in the vets for 2 weeks at least before these rang me, and the other only person was a young lad who, and I know this sounds terrible, but sounded like a skanger. Is there anyone here with a big garden and some love for big loving puppy?

Would you consider contacting one of the rescues? (not a pound!)
There are some listed here: [broken link removed], also www.paws.ie and http://www.ashanimalrescue.com/. They might be able to help. Maybe you can continue to foster the dog until a suitable permanent home can be found. Certainly it's worth a few phone calls anyway.

Also, I wonder would there be any point in talking to a professional trainer about how to get your other dog to accept the pup? I have no idea if anything can be done in that regard. Maybe it's a fairly common problem which can be resolved easily enough.
We've used http://www.tagnrye.com/ for general training (no connection to them, just a happy client.) so certainly you could ask.

Hotlips, thanks for reply. We actual found him by registering with the rescue centres, so I'll give them a call. The poor thing, this will be his 4th home in his 10 little months! We have no problem hanging onto him, it killed us giving him up last week, but I think he would be a lot better of somewhere with a bit of land maybe, where he can run about. I confess that we are not the best walkers in the world.

On the training thing, I'll check it out. Although she has been the baby all her life so I'm not sure how she'd take it!

Roxy.

All puppies are a bit hyper ..Maybe the little mite will settle in...As he is a young dog he will want to play all the time but your older dog should take the doninant role and teach him some manners...

Could you give him another week or two before rehoming him....

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Zegar, he's actually a very large mite! Believe me we don't want to give him up at all, but he really does need a lot of attention and we are not there that much to give it to him. Our other dog sleeps in the house but he is too hyper for it and we feel terrible leaving him out and her in. Have since found a great family that would love to have him so all's good. Thanks again.

roxy said:
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Zegar, he's actually a very large mite! Believe me we don't want to give him up at all, but he really does need a lot of attention and we are not there that much to give it to him. Our other dog sleeps in the house but he is too hyper for it and we feel terrible leaving him out and her in. Have since found a great family that would love to have him so all's good. Thanks again.

Sorry to ask the obvious question, but why in God's name did you get him in the first place if you're not going to give him the care, attention, and exercise he needs? :mad:

You said yourself you're not great walkers - next time, have a thought for the poor animal and whether you can actually give it the level of care and attention it needs and deserves, rather than finding out it doesn't fit into your lifestyle, and shunting the poor animal around from pillar to post. Many of us would love to have a puppy/dog, but realise that, much as we might want one, the dog's interests have to come first, and so therefore we deny ourselves for the sake of the animal.

Sherman said:
Sorry to ask the obvious question, but why in God's name did you get him in the first place if you're not going to give him the care, attention, and exercise he needs? :mad:

You said yourself you're not great walkers - next time, have a thought for the poor animal and whether you can actually give it the level of care and attention it needs and deserves, rather than finding out it doesn't fit into your lifestyle, and shunting the poor animal around from pillar to post. Many of us would love to have a puppy/dog, but realise that, much as we might want one, the dog's interests have to come first, and so therefore we deny ourselves for the sake of the animal.

Hands up Sherman, I take your point. We got him to keep the other dog company thinking they could play together and tire each other out, we do walk every evening for an hour but not 3 times a day as is needed. We spend all evening with them but as I said she gets very jealous and this starts them off again. I have no problem keeping on to him but he deserves to be with a family that is going to be around during the day, and it would be selfish of me not to let him have this,this is the mistake I made in thinking that our other dog would be company enough. Don't make me out to be a bad person because I made a mistake, I have grown up with many dogs and had them all my life, I can assure you that they are my lifestyle, I adore them.

Fair enough roxy, didn't mean to come across too strongly, and fair play for trying hard to find responsible owners for him rather than, as so many people do, dumping him at the nearest pound.

Sherman said:
Fair enough roxy, didn't mean to come across too strongly, and fair play for trying hard to find responsible owners for him rather than, as so many people do, dumping him at the nearest pound.

Sorry for coming across so strong and thanks, I completely believe in the 'a dog is for life' saying, and I know it's not fair to be shifting him around, I just want what's best for him, I cried buckets when we gave him away but when I saw him playing with the kids I really thought he was better off and now he's coming back and we're giving him to someone else, I know how it looks, but I really hope this new family works out and that he becomes part of their family for many many years.

Yep, a friend (with a big garden!) of a friend would be delighted to have him. Bit of a fluke really.

I got a dog from a rescue home 10 years ago and at the time I had to sign a document to say that if all didnt work out I would have to bring the dog back to the same centre for it to be rehomed. Dont all centres do this?
Thankfully our dog is still with us hail and hearty. So hopefull Zegar will settle in his new home.

Huh? Zegar who let you out?

Megan, we just got a call to say someone had rang them to say they had a boxer and gave me their number. The dog was never actually in the shelter. Must have different policies in different shelters.

Back