Need to move back in to my house, but tenants won't leave

CJConnolly

Hoping someone can advise me on what to do about this situation.

I rented out my home six years ago to return to the family home to care for my elderly father.

My father died last year so it was my plan to move back to my own home again.

I gave my tenants the required six months notice but then extended that for another three months - it suited me at the time because the family home wasn't ready for sale, some work had to be done on it (it is due to go on the market soon, the proceeds will be divided between myself and my three brothers), and I was glad of the rent. It also suited my tenants because they are paying well below the market rate for the house.

But it is now almost 11 months since they received notice and they are refusing to leave the house because they can't find anywhere else affordable. I have no doubt, because of the current situation with the rental market, that that is true.

They are good people who never gave me a minute's trouble in their time in the house and I have huge sympathy for their situation. But I am now under severe pressure from the solicitor looking after my father's affairs to vacate the family home. That is understandable, it is over a year since my father died and the house should be on the market by now. Two of my brothers are sympathetic to my situation but the third is not and is demanding that I leave the house immediately.

I have explained my situation to the tenants but they say there is nothing they can do, they can't find anywhere they can afford.

I desperately want to avoid conflict over this, but is my only choice now to contact the PRTB about it? (The house is registered with them).

I genuinely don't want to see this family (a mother and two grown-up sons) made homeless, and would hate to have it on my conscience, but I need to be able to move back in to my home as soon as possible. I'm stressed out from it all, I just don't know what to do.

I would be most grateful for any advice. Thank you.

Hello,

Very sorry to read of your circumstances, both in terms of your personal loss and problems with your tenants.

If it were me, I would get the solicitor looking after your late father's estate to send them a letter on your behalf, demanding that they vacate the property within the appropriate time period. You have tried being nice about it, gave them extra time etc. It is not your fault that they are in the situation they may be in, but you have to put yourself first.

Follow the procedure & get your home back; you need somewhere to live as well.

Sympathy is one thing, being foolish is another.

Many thanks for your replies MrEarl and Thirsty, much appreciated. After reading your advice I decided it was time to get tougher and let the tenants know that the solicitor would be in touch with them, as Mr Early advised. Within two days they got back to me and told me they had found somewhere and would be moving out within a fortnight! It was amazing how the mention of a solicitor concentrated their minds. Hopefully they will stick to their word and this can all be sorted out amicably.

Thank you both again.

Great news and hopefully the end of the problem for you.

.. don't forget to charge them for not giving you sufficient notice btw ;)

Back