Need to get on top of my loans, can anyone offer advice please?

You cannot afford a laptop. There are computers available at libraries for a nominal amount that your sister can use for now. Your sister should not be putting you under any pressure on this.

There is no easy way to say this but if you want a long term quality of life than you should suffer the pain now.

You need the landlords PPP number and address. Heres the application form. Also get your P60 done for tax recheck on the last few years.

You don't need a landlords PPS number to claim tax back - you only need their name and address.

I advise you to order a P21 off Revenue for each year you have been working. You may be entitled to a refund. Just call your local Revenue Section, quote your PPS number and ask for a P21 for each year. (you can also do this online)

If you're not prepared to make the changes proposed it is going to take you longer to pay off your debts. So its your choice.

Even if you don't want to move, I suggest you keep pressure on landlord to reduce rent. They won't want to lose a good tenant. And 260 per forthnight is high for any part of Dublin.

Just an update guys, things are looking a wee bit better.

I've spoken to my boss at work about my bonus structure and I'm getting 600Euro this month and 500Euro next month. I should be coming out with an average bonus of 300 per month after Christmas too (that's just for 90% of target), as I'm being giving extra key accounts to handle. I wasn't sure about my bonus structure before as my position is still changing quite alot and is more client relations than sales based, but I know where I'm at now thank god.

I rang AIB and they're cancelling my credit card and adding it on to my loan, I told them I could pay 400Euro a month if it covered my card too so they're working it out on that basis and going to ring me back with the term.

Now I just have MBNA to deal with, I don't want to ring them from work so going to call from my mobile later, I figure if I can pay the arrears with my bonus next month then I can get on some kind of payment plan with them after that.

I've also sent off the forms for rent relief for the past 4 years. I checked my P21 last year but I owed 200Euro, so I think I'm best not checking again!

My sister isn't putting any pressure on me, her and my brother live in a rural area and have no access to a library, they do need the computer and I am going to get it for them. I appreciate that it's hard for ye to understand and that you're just trying to be logical about my debt, but I play a big part in their upbringing and if I don't get them the things they need then they won't be got, end of story, so I have to do my best. I don't want them in the same situation I was in at their age or indeed the situation I'm in now. Their parents aren't worth talking about.

Anyway things are looking a bit better now at least.
So, fingers crossed. Thanks everyone for your posts :)

There is one thing Cailin that hasn't been touched - you are still very young and the fact that most of the debt has come about from the student years, as previous posters have stated go easy on the expences for a few years and you will have all your debt paid off...

My sister is 30 and still paying off a student loan.. You are dealing with you debt and thats the important thing....

Don't ring MBNA from your mobile. Ring them only from a number that absolutely can not be traced such as a phone box.

Thanks Pinkybear, I'm feeling much more optimistic now, things just got on top of me before.

Bronte, they already have my mobile, god knows they ring it 10 times a day - that's why I'm going to wait and ring them off that later.

Hey Cailin,

I have younger siblings aswell and also participate a lot in their lives. You should not feel guilty or put yourself under this extreme pressure to buy them a laptop. I know you feel like you have to, but you have to have a life aswell and you can't help anyone until you can help yourself. I'm sure they love you just for caring so much about them. : )

you have dug yourself into a debt hole but its not too big.

1. you have to cut way down on food expenses. i eat very well on about 50 a week
2. your rent is way too high, you have to move

you have dug yourself into a debt hole but its not too big.

1. you have to cut way down on food expenses. i eat very well on about 50 a week
2. your rent is way too high, you have to move

As I said, I'm not moving, it's not an option. I'm not in as bad a situation as I was previously and I really feel that I can get out of debt in the next 5 years while still having some kind of a life, which is all I wanted.

Thanks for all of the advice guys. I'm ok now! :)

Back