Need to buy MS Office

Discussion in 'I.T.,Cameras and MP 3 players' started by NewEdition, Dec 2, 2016.

1. NewEdition

NewEdition Frequent Poster

I got a new laptop and need to but Microsoft Office.
    On the MS website, its €279 for office home & business.

On this site, its €152 - Big difference!
    https://www.softelectronics.co.uk/p...1MzdFoB7qG9kIQZVAOhn1IrWpDJd3Qm0fwRoCNsXw_wcB

Where is the cheapest place to get this?
    I am a single user for personal / small business (IT contractor).

I need Outlook, Word, Excel and Powerpoint.
    Also, if there are alternate suggestions, I am assuming I need Outlook to migrate my big mailbox that is currently in Office 2007, so not sure if the likes of Open Office would beof any use.

2. cremeegg

cremeegg Frequent Poster

Don't know about migrating the email, but open office has worked well for me for a number of years

3. jaykayphd

jaykayphd Frequent Poster

4. NewEdition

@jaykayphd - Thanks for that - I am surprised there is such a variance in price.
    I was just worried that the other sites were scams!
    £75 is the cheapest I have seen... I will get that I think!

5. jaykayphd

Also try MMOGA.de or MMOGA.com. I've used them before for antivirus software. Its a bit weird. They will send you the product key via email and you then download the software from the publishing company's website.

6. NewEdition

Thanks.. Thats even cheaper and downloading suits me better!

Edit - Actually, that was Office 2013!

7. NewEdition

8. jaykayphd

As far as I know Office 365 is the subscription version. 2016 is the once of payment version. That particular product in your link seems to be unavailable by the way.

9. dub_nerd

dub_nerd Frequent Poster

The version in your first post is Office Professional, while the later ones are Office Home and Business which would explain some of the discrepancy. For sites like this I would usually Google something like "can i trust softelectronics.co.uk", to look for trust sites. In the case of that first one it looks reasonable ok:

https://www.trustedshops.co.uk/buyerrating/info_X5DCBAFDA89162BCC7A99ABB5ABCB07BD.html

I didn't look at the others. Interested to know how you get on as those prices look very reasonable.

10. NewEdition

Ended up getting Office 2013 from MMOGA.com- All worked fine - Activation code was received within minutes!

Now the hard bit to move from my old laptop - re our other conversation @dub_nerd !! :-]

11. Guns N Roses

Guns N Roses Frequent Poster

Try Argos.
    Microsoft Office Home and Student 2016.
    455/2822
    • Save €38.00
    • €139.99 [​IMG]
    • was €177.99

12. dub_nerd

dub_nerd Frequent Poster

Looks like a very decent price. Feel free to "Private Message" me (click name to left of post and click "Private_Conversation") if you need casual help, will do my best to assist. I am not a hacker/scammer. :D

13. Logo

Logo Frequent Poster

I bought a 2nd hand laptop recently which is working perfectly. However anytime I log on I get a message saying "This copy of Windows is not genuine". Also "This copy of Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 is not activated". Any ideas for a PC illiterate poster?

14. Leo

Leo Moderator

Most likely whoever sold you the laptop wiped it and installed clean versions of OS and Office. On completing that they should have activated them, that involved associating a licence with that installation. They likely didn't have licences, or have transferred them to another machine. End result is you do not have fully legal licensed software. If you want to sort that out so you can use them normally and get updates, you'll need to buy licences.

If I were you, I'd return it if possible as I presume the add referred to the software on it? Where did you buy it?

15. Logo

Logo Frequent Poster

Thanks Leo. I bought it from a friend but will return it as software was supposed to be included.

16. Leo

Leo Moderator

No problem.

17. MrEarl

MrEarl Frequent Poster

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017 at 2:48 AM
    Hi,

This may be of interest to some of your......

Office365 University
    • 4 year deal
    • can be installed on 2 devices
    • €79 (incl. vat)
    - see here

... having just read a few of the Q&As, it also seems that you can renew the package once, for a further 4-years (so in theory you can get up to 8 years, for a total of €158, assuming I have read the post and response from Microsoft correctly).

If you are studying at one of the larger universities, you may be able to get a very similar offering for free so check before you buy.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017 at 2:48 AM