Need to buy $10,000 - rate comparison

tecate

I need to buy usd$10,000. Do banks generally have to order this up and if so, what sort of notice do they need?

Other than ringing round all the high street banks, is there any other way to 'shop' for this purchase?

You want physical notes? If you're in Dublin city centre, the busier branches might be able to cater for it, but otherwise there might be a day or 2 delay to get it from their cash centre.

Try these guys, part of Fexco. I think their max online is 2,500 but if you phone they might quote for higher. They seem cheaper than the banks anytime I've checked.
https://www.no1currency.ie

Yes, physical notes. Thanks - will try Fexco alongside the regular banks. Not in Dublin but miraculously they have a location not too far from me.

For Fexco, they can deal with you through certain credit unions around the country. However, you have to be a member of said credit union.

For Fexco, they can deal with you through certain credit unions around the country. However, you have to be a member of said credit union.
That makes sense unfortunately. Once you go over the 2.5k limit, they need to do anti money laundering, so easier for a CU to be responsible for that.

I guess I should have known this was a problem. However, it was all lastminute.com - couldn't be helped as I had little in the way of notice.

If you don't have an account with a bank, then either they won't accommodate fx transactions OR (Ulster Bank) will only spare a couple of hundred for non-account holders.
My bank (PTSB in Galway) - said I'd missed the run for this week (even though it's due to be delivered on Friday) - and that it would be available for collection based on an order today. They then checked what they *could* give me based on what they had in stock - and said that between the 2x Galway branches, they couldn't give me a single dollar!

I got a bad rate - but just to get the problem solved, was happy enough simply to get sorted via An Post.

Back