Need s/one to transfer confidential files to new laptop

Ceepee

Mr Ceepee is buying a new laptop. He needs to transfer confidential files from his two old laptops to the new laptop. Because of the nature of his work, we want this done in our home , and want to ensure that the old laptops are 'clean' before disposing of them.

Can anyone provide a recommendation? We are in north County Dublin.

Dell previously provided this service - it was an add-on at the purchase stage - but now it can only be arranged once you have received delivery of the purchase. It was a big selling-point for Dell, but we may now consider buying a different brand if anyone here can recommend a reputable IT engineer.

Thanks, but Mr Ceepee is adamant he wants An Expert, and I think that precludes me having a go meself.

buy yourself a memory stick copy the files from the old laptops to the memory stick then copy them onto the new laptop. Done all the files copied and you done it yourself so you know there safe and no one copied them.

Secondly the old laptops I would store them somewere for awhile after to make sure all of the files were copied. Once your happy the only way to truely make sure no one can get data from your old laptops is to drill holes into the laptop hard drive these can easily be taken out of the computers and are normally only held in by one or two screws.

Above is the safest options and can be done yourself there is no need to pay someone to do this as if they wanted they could easily copy your files without you knowing.

I second doing it yourself, I wouldn't let a stranger near mine. Do it folder by folder but make two seperate back up copies.

I'd check the size of each folder to be copied and after copy check the copy is the same size as the source folder just as a double check.

Also run each backup and browse through it to check if it looks all right.

If you can get the hard-drive out of old laptops then smash em up with a lump hammer.

Would this crowd be of any use to you after you copy the files yourself ?
They gaurantee secure removal and wipe of pc hard disk, and the pc gets donated to schools.

http://camara.ie/web/about-2/what-we-do/

As far as i am aware a large number of high profile companies donate IT equipemnt to this company, so from a security perspective they seem pretty tight.

You can aloways download software to securily wipe your hd also!

Thanks for the replies, and thank you also to the people who PM'd me offering their services.

I got a personal recommendation for who are based in Coolock, Dublin 17, and was very happy with their service which was prompt, friendly and exactly what we wanted.

Can you tell us what happened to the hard drives on the old laptops ? One of their services is data retrieval and to make sure data is gone you need to scrub the disk which involves writing to every sector on the disk twice, reformat and repeat this entire process several times .... other option is to physically destroy the disk

Thanks for the replies, and thank you also to the people who PM'd me offering their services.

Please report users who offer services by PM. This is not allowed and goes against the spirit of AAM, and often results in a permanent ban.
Leo

Back