Need help to sort me out

Sounds to me like you may have overpaid tax esp if you didn't do out proper accounts. Do you have any accountant or tax knowledgable friends who might be able to help you have a look back over the books. find out what you actually paid in tax and if you did possibly pay too much, pay a tax consultant for proper advice.

Would your circumstances allow you to go out and get a full or part time job, as well as continue in your business?8000 euro tax on an income of 17,000 is not right you may be due a refund if what you say is correct.call revenue.

well going into the future, perhaps your partner should save say 40% of his income from fishing to cover the times he has no income. Is there any way he can get some additional work when he is not fishing? perhaps registering for the farm relief service? Your partner could work for a local farmer on an ad hoc basis, and be paid for this. It might suit him as you live in a rural area.

Seriously. Maybe you should take a small holiday (weekend) to clear you mind.
Things are not that bad compared to other cases I have seen. You are working and attempting to handle the situation. There is no quick fix - believe me, but try Clubman suggestion - MADS they are meant to be very helpful at helping people. Chill a little

thanks everyone you have made me feel a whole lot better about the whole situation. your suggestion made me smile legallady, its just altho we live in a rural area there are no farmers on that level here a farmer might have two cows here. You all right tho things are not as bad as i thought things were and am seeing things in a whole new light and good news the fisherman is back out fishing tomorrow

Suimhneach -- I think you are living in the same part of the country as me -- The West. You will be able to deal with this little problem. Sit down with your partner and work out a plan or if this fails, try what Clubman says, go to MABS, but I don't think you will need to.

Sit down with your partner and work out a plan or if this fails, try what Clubman says, go to MABS, but I don't think you will need to.
I fully agree with the sitting down and making out a plan (when you look at the cold hard facts you might actually be surprised that the situation isn't as bad as when you simply worry about it and don't act).

However, I suggest you do make contact with MABS if you have the option (not sure how rural you are, constraints on time, nearest office location, etc.). They offer a free service which, at worst, will provide you with some additional information and might even lead to reduced payments on your existing debts. They will/should help you investigate other issues with your finances which will help in moving forward to mitigate against this type of scenario happening again.

There are lots of free sources of financial information available. I'd suggest contacting each of the bodies detailed above (and contacting/looking at any additional sources... www.itsyourmoney.ie etc.) to ensure you are receiving all relevant tax credits/payments/etc.

I suggest you collect all outstanding bills ESB,Heating,etc.

Make a list of all outgoings including Mortgage,credit card repayments etc.

List income on a weekly basis (as it appears it varies)

Make an appointment with MABS and bring all your papers

Do the same with Social Welfare and then

Go to Community Welfare Officer and bring all bills as with MABS- he will need to see that you have been to Social Welfare and made serious effort to help yourseef

Back