Need Help Audi or Rav4

Shasha

In the process of selling my lovely Mini Cooper S as I am pregnant with first baby so my car choice has to change. We are looking at the Audi A4 Avant Diesel or the Rav4 Diesel. Budget is €20-€25k. I dont like a really heavy car on the clutch and was thinking the Rav for the height for new babe when he/she comes along in Feb 09 but concerned its a little heavy to drive. I drive a bit but its all town (not dublin) driving stopping starting etc!! Any one got any suggustions!!

I personally hate the idea of the Rav 4. It is not a 4x4 nor is it a car. It simply one big way to kill a pedestrian or a Cyclist.

I drive an A4 Saloon and the A4 Avant is similar in every other way other than the shape so I highly recommend the A4.

I dont understand the comment of the "height for the new babe", The only advantage of the height of the vehicle is that you can see more of the road ahead of you but less of the road behind you especially when considering reversing.

You leaving a sporty little cooper S to go straight through to soccer mom SUV. Bad idea, head in the direction of the Audi, the hold their value more than the Rav4 and are actually safer for both you and other road users.

Disadvantage of the Audi - More expensive parts and labour at dealers
Disadvantage of Rav4 - Terrible road presence and difficult to manouver considering its terrible turning circle.

I dont understand the comment of the "height for the new babe", The only advantage of the height of the vehicle is that you can see more of the road ahead of you but less of the road behind you especially when considering reversing....

Lifting baby in and out, and doing belts up is a killer on the lower back. So if the load area/seat is higher it helps a lot.

Incidentally the A4 older is smaller in the back compared to other saloons, especially for kids, baby seats etc. Even the avant isn't that big. The latest A4 is much bigger.

The RAV4 will more than likely give you fewer problems than the A4. After all Toyotas are the best built cars in the world according to the surveys.

I recently swapped my VW for a Nissan 4x4 and, whilst it's no sports car, I have to say that I really like the extra visibility it gives due to it's height. My own 15 month old daughter is a lot less moany when she's in my car rather than her mums since she can see more.

I think, however, that you'll get better fuel economy from the Audi and, as a new parent, your going to need the extra space in the back for buggies, nappy bags, baby walkers.... The list goes on as you're about to find out!!

I need my 4x4 for my work but I think I'd be happier, where the baby is concerned, to go for an estate car.

I wouldn't necessarily go for the Audi though. You might look at other options like the Avensis or a C-Max.

A lot of estates and 4x4 have actually smaller boot space than a regular mid sized saloon. So I'd be checking/comparing the capacity of rear and boot of different cars before making a decision. I'd go for Toruan or a older A6 Avant over a new A4 Avant.

I've been lucky enough to have had both,the audi was 2.5 tdi quattro, was a nice car but we found out we were having a baby like yourself and had to take on a totally different lifestyle.The Rav4 is very good, we had the 2.2 d4d, 40-45 mpg, like enough clutch, electric power steering is very light, loading into and out of the boot is very easy but the gripe there is the side opening door, can be dangerous in windy days, won't keep you dry if raining and watch where you park so you and open the door.A load of airbags including knee.I auctually prefer cars but for making life easier on the back lifting baby and seat in and out it makes life so much less stressful, i'm glad we changed, best of luck for the future.

... After all Toyotas are the best built cars in the world according to the surveys...
Ah no, that's the wording from the Toyota ads, advertising becomes researched fact.

I'd suggest to OP that the RAV4 / Nissan Quashquai / VW Tiguan are possibly candidates to save on the back strain of lifting baby in and out of the car and the higher boot at the the rear for push-chairs / buggies / changing bags are a huge plus.

My daughter has a Passat and is just about to change to a Quashquai for this very reason.

Whatever you look at price it in the UK first. Their second hand market had collapsed.

I bought a rav and sold it after a month - did not like the drive from it at all - i went on to a bmw - have never driven an audi but i know for sure the rav is one of he worst drives ive had and it's a pity because i think they look rally good!!

Ah no, that's the wording from the Toyota ads, advertising becomes researched fact.

I'd suggest to OP that the RAV4 / Nissan Quashquai / VW Tiguan are possibly candidates to save on the back strain of lifting baby in and out of the car and the higher boot at the the rear for push-chairs / buggies / changing bags are a huge plus.

My daughter has a Passat and is just about to change to a Quashquai for this very reason.

I think that you'll also find that Car Buyers Guide or Car or New Car ( not sure which is which ) have voted Mazda as the most reliable car in the world.

If Mazda are the most reliable, why are the resale values crap?

I think the older cars were a bit boring and bland Frank, but the newer ones especially the 6 are crackers, that should help them a bit.

the A4 or any estate will kill your back with the new baby.

Have you looked at the Verso if you are looking towards Toyota. Should be more friendlier than the Rav4. Wife has one and loves them

Have you looked at the Verso if you are looking towards Toyota. Should be more friendlier than the Rav4. Wife has one and loves them

But if you like a car that's engaging to drive don't go near a Verso (or a Rav4).

Thanks for all your help test drove both and the Quashqui looks like might be going for the Nissan now 1.5 diesel and going to England to buy it more spec less money!!! Thanks again anyone know now a nice light buggy???

picking up a car in northern ireland today.
Switching insurance to the new car
called currency.ie and booked same day car payment

Book
What do i need to collect from the car dealer, log book, anything else?
There is financing on the car but this is as the garage explained normal for the garage to have fleet financing

Last edited:
We got a kind of all in one system from Grace that's a buggy, then has a car fixing seat base and baby carrier and you can put that carrier into the buggy for going to town and the like, my little boy is 6 months now and the carrier and himself is getting heavy so we just leave it fixed to the car and carry him in/out cos he's sturdy enough, i'd be interested if there are any "light" systems out there for the future.

Going to the UK and buying a higher spec vehicle is not as rosy as it sounds.

When you bring back an equivalent vehicle you pay the VRT but they will ask you for the details of the vehicle.

If the UK spec has Cruise/Sunroof/Climate/Sat Nav/Bluetooth and the Irish car does not then you will be charged VRT for every added extra as per the cost of adding them to an Irish vehicle.

Some many people are being caught with this and it was discussed on Matt Cooper around 3 months ago.

Back