need advice on how to save!

yellowroses

My husband & I are currently renting a house for 1100 per month, he earns 2000 a month & I am a new mum having completed a course in childcare last yr. Anyway, we really want to apply for the affordable housing scheme but r at a loss as to how we can save ... once rent is paid we have 900 for the month so apx 200 a wk once tax is taken out ... we spend about 50 on petrol & 100 on food/baby stuff & other 50 for bills ... can anyone advise us where we can cut back?
If i go back to work i'll only get paid 8.65 per hour as childcare is paid really badly so even if i came out with 350 a week id need to pay at least 200 to a childminder ... would it be the best thing to do or what has anyone else done?! thanks

Hi Emma,
Would you not consider doing childminding yourself, it would enable you to stay at home with your child and also generate some extra income at the same time.
It really would be pointless you going out to work and missing the pleasure of your baby's early years for the sake of an extra 150e.

Back