Nationwide Need advice about moving Swiss pension to Ireland

AnyAdvice

My wife and I are Irish and have been living in Switzerland for 11 years. Planning to move back to Ireland and need a trusted expert to provide advice. Any recommendations?

Hi AA

I would recommend Marc Westlake who has a good understanding of cross border issues from both a tax and investment point of view.

And if he is not the right person, he would probably know the right person to talk to.

Brendan

A couple of considerations for your pension and beyond...

You may want to consider how to handle the mandatory and non mandatory components of your pension. The different Kantons in Switzerland impose different tax rates on cash out of your pension. You may for example move your pension to Kanton Schwyz before cashing out to incur a lower tax rate.

Regarding other assets... You will be liable for capital gains tax in Ireland so it is advisable to realize all your capital gains before you become a tax resident in Ireland. Basically sell all your assets hold the cash for one month then buy back in.

Capital gains tax on equities is 33% on open ended investment companies it’s up to 44% with a notional realization after eight years. Don’t get caught by this.

There is no capital gains tax in Switzerland only wealth tax so you wouldn’t be hit hard on those capital gains that you realize.

Back