Health Insurance Need a cheaper plan following redundancy

Rose123

My company pays for Laya Connect Choice, for my whole family (2 adults, 1 young adult and 1 child) but I am being made redundant shortly and need a cheaper plan, ideally no higher than 2k p.a.
I have some medical complications - mostly treated in hospital outpatients for free but I use the private cover for CT scans, MRI etc. when required. My partner is a smoker so I expect to see some health issues in the future! Kids are healthy with no issues, not sure if I even need cover for them tbh.
What would people recommend?

Rose123,

The following plans are worth considering for yourself;
1. VHI Company Plan Plus Level 1.3; price 1123pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private hospital excess 150 per admission,
day case excess 50 per procedure. There is no excess to pay in any public hospital. Good day to day cover included, 50% refund for gp visits, consultant visits, etc. - max refund 1000 per year.

2.Laya Simply Connect; price 1100pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private hospital excess max 150 x 2 per year for all
admissions, day case 50 per procedure. There is no excess to pay in any public hospital. Good day to day cover included, 50% refund for
gp visits, consultant visits, etc - max refund 500 per year. (50% of 1000= 500).

3. VHI One Plan 250; price 832pa; all public, private and Beacon hospital covered, private excess 250 per admission and day case excess 150
per procedure.

4. Laya Essential Health 300; price 895pa; all public, private and Beacon hospital covered, Cardiac and orthopaedic covered in Blackrock Clinic
and Mater Private. Private hospital excess 300 x 2 max per year for all admissions and day case excess 125 per procedure.
[broken link removed]

For your husband, the following plans are worth considering;
5. VHI One Plan 500; price 715pa; all public and private hospitals covered, private excess 500 x 2 max per year for all admissions. Day case
excess 150 per procedure.

6. VHI One Plan 250; price 832pa; see details above.
[broken link removed]

Regarding your 2 'kids', it is worth taking out health insurance, even basic cover. There is a nightly charge of 80 euro for anybody admitted to
a public hospital for a stay/surgery. This charge also applies to children. This charge applies if you don't have a medical card or health insurance.
It is capped at 80 x 10 nights = 800 max per year, regardless of how long a person is in hospital.
The following basic plan is worth considering for both ages;

7. VHI Start Plan; price 103pa(under 18) price 136pa(age 19); selected list of public hospitals covered, this list includes the 3 childrens
hospitals in Dublin for age under 16 years. It also includes the main adult hospitals in Dublin.
[broken link removed]

A total family cost of 2000 or less can be achieved with certain choices.
Whenever the company plan ends, you can renew with any health insurance provider from that date.

Regards, Snowyb

Thank you so much for such a detailed reply, I will look into all these options.

You could also look at Laya's Flex 500 Explore policy (€838 each per adult) - it has a 500 Euro excess, which brings the price down, and covers private hospitals in Galway, so might be worth considering if you live in Connacht.
For the kids - the Laya Essential Family Connect policy (total of €250 for 3 kids), and similar coverage to the above VHI policies.

Thanks Trident, appreciate the suggestions. Definitely interested in the Flex one especially as there is currently an extra 10% off so it only costs 770, might get this one for my husband. I think I will get the Simply Connect for me - as I usually have over €200 day to day claim, that will cover the extra cost.
Unfortunately the Essential Family connect doesn't treat my 19 year old as a child so it's too expensive. I think I will get the kids the VHI Start as it's so cheap and still has decent enough cover.
On this basis the whole family will cost approx 2100, which is great, I didn't think I could get it down to close to 2000.
Thanks so much snowyb and trident.

Back