NCT

BlueSpud

If your car fails the NCT, and it will cost a lot to fix, what are the downsides. Is it just that you cant get the tax renewed, or is there an insurance question. I have an old jalopy which failed, and am wondering if I can run out the current tax and then scrap it. Anybody know what the issues are?

If involved in accident, insurance company will not pay up if you have been shown to ignore NCT requirements

I thought that the main issue was that you can't take a car out on the road unless it has a valid NCT cert (disc?)? Or is that not the case?

ClubMan said:
I thought that the main issue was that you can't take a car out on the road unless it has a valid NCT cert (disc?)? Or is that not the case?

[broken link removed]

According to this page, you can get 5 points.................

Thanks for that info BlueSpud. Decani - are you sure that the terms & conditions of online insurers don't state that having a valid NCT cert is a requirement in order for cover to be provided?

as the nct does not only cover safety issues, not having one does not necessarily invalidate your insurance. ie if it failed the emissions test or has fancy number plates, it is still a roadworthy vehicle.
the penaltypoints.ie website does not mention the nct under its current or proposed offences. the guards dont seem to care about it and the motor tax people certainly dont. as far as i can see the only ones shouting about it are the nct people themselves.

Whatever about that according to :
It is an offence to drive a car that is liable for testing without displaying a National Car Testing Service disc and offenders will face fines of up to 1,500 euro.
I would imagine that if you are committing a road offence then your insurance might be invalidated anyway?

As someone who has worked closely with the Gardai it is an offence not to have an NCT cert displayed for those cars which required it. Currently if stopped and you don't have a cert displayed you have 10 days to produce an NCT certificate for the car at a Driver nominated station. Failure to produce a cert within 10 days results in an Road Traffic Offence. Insurance wise I don't believe it's an issue but it's not my area of expertise.

Port said:
As someone who has worked closely with the Gardai it is an offence not to have an NCT cert displayed for those cars which required it. Currently if stopped and you don't have a cert displayed you have 10 days to produce an NCT certificate for the car at a Driver nominated station. Failure to produce a cert within 10 days results in an Road Traffic Offence. Insurance wise I don't believe it's an issue but it's not my area of expertise.

Yes, and I'd have thought knowingly driving a car that's failed it's NCT must be an offence too.

Driving a known defective car may well invalidate your insurance.

If you don't wish to drive this vehicle (and wish to rid yourself of it) but it is still has a valid road tax certificate I suggest you might consider doing the following. (It explains how to claim a refund of your motor taxation).

(a) Contact the Vehicle Registration Unit at the Dept. Environment and let them know you wish to scrap the vehicle. This is because you next need to have your ownership details removed from the National Driver File, held at the Vehicle Registration Unit.

They will send you a form you complete and return to them. Remember to have the vehicle registration number to hand when you call. You will need to fill up the form and have it stamped (I believe by the Gardai). The Vehicle Regisration Unit can then arrange to have your details removed regarding the vehicle from their records.

Vehicle Registration Unit,
Department of Environment, Heritage and Local Government,
Shannon,
Co. Clare.
Tel: (061) 365000
Fax: (061) 363480
LoCall: 1890 411 412

(b) Next contact your local authority and let them know you wish to scrap the vehicle. They can arrange to collect for a small fee (approx 20 euro or so).

(c) Finally (this is the good part) you may apply to your local authority Motor Tax office for a refund of motor tax paid. A minimum of three unexpired whole calender months must be left on the disc when surrendered, in order to qualify for a refund. Applications for refunds of motor tax can be made to you local motor tax office, on Form RF120, (used when a vehicle has been scrapped/destroyed).

You will need to have the form witnessed by the Gardai. When your (RF120 form) is completed and stamped, you then send the form into the Motor Tax office where you previously taxed the vehicle. They can then make the appropriate refunds. RF120 forms are available to download here:
[broken link removed]

(Don't worry above link form Limerick City Council website - it's a standard form and can be used anywhere).

The obligation on motorists to display a valid NCT certificate is set down in section (6) of SI 405/2003 Road Traffic (National Car Test) REgulations 2003. [broken link removed].

Last edited:
The Gardai ceratinly do not give a rats This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language about the nct if you have both tax and insurance on display. To date I have not heard of one no nct case in the courts.

CMCR said:
Don't worry above link form Limerick City Council website - it's a standard form and can be used anywhere
Another glorious success story from the decentralisation archives...

Bood-007. I have personally been involved in cases last year with the Gardai where people were before the courts for the following ; No NCT, No Tax and speeding. I am not sure which papers you actively scan for NCT and Tax offences but certainly my local paper in the midlands does not go by one month without either been mentioned as a court article.

I also was stopped last week where my Tax was out of date from end of August (had it at home but never popped it into the plastic holder) and had 10 days to turn up at my nominated garda station and display it. When I went down to the local station the Garda checked on PULSe where it was recorded that I had to bring in my tax. He duely noted it brought it and closed off the record. So to say that they don't give a rats This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language is completely erroneous. I can give you the name of at least 10 Garda in the Dublin Traffic Corp who certainly do give a rats This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language about such infringements.

MidlandsBase said:
Bood-007. I have personally been involved in cases last year with the Gardai where people were before the courts for the following ; No NCT, No Tax and speeding. I am not sure which papers you actively scan for NCT and Tax offences but certainly my local paper in the midlands does not go by one month without either been mentioned as a court article.

I also was stopped last week where my Tax was out of date from end of August (had it at home but never popped it into the plastic holder) and had 10 days to turn up at my nominated garda station and display it. When I went down to the local station the Garda checked on PULSe where it was recorded that I had to bring in my tax. He duely noted it brought it and closed off the record. So to say that they don't give a rats This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language is completely erroneous. I can give you the name of at least 10 Garda in the Dublin Traffic Corp who certainly do give a rats This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language about such infringements.

I have passed 8 or 9 checkpoints where I was not questioned on the lack of nct.As long as the tax and insurnace is straight you get waved on.

On garda in west wicklow told me the nct was a "mickey mouse" matter and would only ever be used as a filler offence. He told me he would not do nct only cases.

Back