NCT - yes or no?

• Thread starter fatherdougalmaguire
  • Start date
Re: .

The skyrocketing of Insurance Premiums seemed to coincide with the introduction of the NCT.

I have no problem with the NCT, but when I heard that you fail for not removing your hubcaps, or for leaving a Baby Seat in the back I did wonder if this wasn't more of a Scam than a Safety Scheme.

What person when making up the rules for something like this decides that having hub caps should cause a car to fail?
Perhaps if the hub caps couldn't be removed, or if they were loose, or perhaps if the baby seat was incorrectly installed. But lets have a bit of cop on or it'll be just another stupid law where the resentment people feel outweighs the obvious benefits.

And dammit we have enough bad laws and bad enforcement already, we don't need any more.

-Rd

or the most ridiculous of all, being failed because your number plate does nto have the county name in irish in small letters along the top.

I know I know that by law you have to have the proper number plates fitted but the NCT is supposed to be about safety, having the county name in irish will not make my car safer.

I hate when people give out about failing for the stupid little things that the NCT also tests for. The point is EVERYONE should know about these things at this stage, so if you are dumb enough to leave your hub caps on, or not get the proper number plate, then you deserve to fail. It's all written clearly in the rules so just do what it tells you and then you wont fail, as simple as that.

Exactly, its the rule that is an ass in this case. how will having the county name in irish have any effect on the safety of my car?

Standard Format Numberplates

Cushtie,
Do you accept that Number Plates should be visible and conform to a standard design template?

ajapale

I have no reason to object to standards / conformity of the number plate. the NCT was introduced to test the roadworthiness of the vehicle. All I am saying is that having the county name on my number plate will not make my car any safer therfore it should not be part of the NCT test.

nct

I failed the nct on the emissions recently. Had 1.1% CO2 coming out where 0.8% was the failure rate.
540 euros later, and a new flux capacitor installed under the car and it passed. I know the mechanic told me exactly what it was hed fitted but my he told me the price first and I stopped listening after that. In fact, Im pretty sure I stopped breathing for a while as well.

Has anyone ever been stopped and fined for not having an NCT cert displayed? If the gards arent doing this, then because you dont need the nct to get taxed, I could have driven the car into the ground and never had to worry about having the outlay such as above.

Re: nct

From the ncts website: www.ncts.ie/

Ncts is concerned primarilly with road safety and environmental compliance. Registration Plates are explicitly included in the test under section 12.

I agree with you that the Irish Number Plate is a bit daft but if thats the standard then the NCT should test against it. I have seen several plates (all from the border counties) which are illegible because of small or jazzy script. A car which is easily identifiable contributes to road safety not least because traffic infringements can be reported to the authorities.

12.Miscellaneous
Registration Plates
Adaptations for disabled drivers
Towing Bracket / Coupling

I suppose I'll have to give you that one ajapale. It would indeed be easier to report someone that say left the scene of an accident if they have a clearly visible plate.

I still think it should be enforced by the gardai as a traffic violation as opposed to a safety issue though.

my brother is very much into his cars (not a boy racer) and usually has some kind of fancy plate on his car, when NCT time comes around he simply swaps them for the standard ones.

he has never once been pulled up the Gardai for having a non standard plate

...he simply swaps them for the standard ones.
...he has never once been pulled up the Gardai for having a non standard plate

Hi Cushtie,

This is interesting. I wonder if it is posslible to get plates which look ok but which "dazzle" speed cameras?

ajapale

no idea, although I have seen ones that seem fairly standard but have a kinda blue hue to them. often wondered about them, maybe this is what you refer to

Back