NCT - yes or no?

• Thread starter fatherdougalmaguire
  • Start date
F

fatherdougalmaguire

Caught [broken link removed] on www.examiner.ie over the weekend.

Does anyone know if you can renew your tax without an NCT? What other aspects of NCT should we be aware of? Can lack of NCT have an effect on insurance pay out for example?

It says very clearly on the NCT paperwork the car will not be taxed without an NCT cert when you go to renew it, but whether they reject it and return it I dont know. Would you take that chance of getting points/fine when stopped without tax?

To save money, just bring the carto the NCT, get a list of the problems, have it serviced/fixed, pay your retest fee and your done. No matter what you do with your headlights it seems very difficult to get them adjusted so they pass 1st go!

And I dont think the gov. get a penny of the retest cost (could be wrong though)

Seems to me...

If its not compulsory to NCT your car in order to re-tax it then the tax office cannot refuse to do so for that reason as there is no legal basis for them to do so.

In this case the car owner should get a letter from the tax office clearly stating that they will not tax the car because it was not NCTed. When you get pulled (and you will) bring the letter to court and show it to the judge along with a letter form the dept of transport stipulating that you never needed the NCT in the first place.

This leaves the court in the position of having a defendant who attempted to tax his/her car and then had the tax office refuse to accommodate him for reasons outside of their authority.

Anyone care to comment on this?

nct cert when taxing car

Don't know about the legality of having the NCT or not, but in the last 2 years I have been in the tax office a few times for car tax and was never asked for an NCT cert. Also, one day I was there, one man said he forgot his cert and the girl in the tax office said they don't check for NCT anymore. This was at least a year ago.

NCT - Insurance

The motor taxation office themselves said over the weekend they do tax cars and one of the major insurance companies AXA said also it had no bearing on insurance.....

???

So just to get this straight. Is there ANY legal obligation for a car owner to put thier car through the NCT?

Re: ???

Yes:

http://www.google.ie/search?as_q=nct&num=10&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&lr=&as_ft=i&as_filetype=&as_qdr=all&as_occt=any&as_dt=i&as_sitesearch=irishstatutebook.ie+&safe=images (www.google.ie/search?as_q...afe=images)

From the examiner link above

"The Department of Transport says NCT approval has not been compulsory since 2001."

What exactly does this mean then?

N.C.T.

from personal experience you don't need NCT to tax your car........i've a march 95 car..taxed it each year........only submitted car for first test last april;
But you should have nct disc displayed........however the only people i've heard charged for non display of disc are those who are also charged for non insurance non tax etc.

nct and tax

Just taxed my car for a further six months. Called the tax office before renewing as my car is due an NCT this month (OO car) and was told that I do not need an NCT Cert. even though the tax renewal form states that it is required. Also renewed my insurance-no mention of NCT.

My car is due an NCT by 14/02/04. Received no notice from NCT Ireland. I called them in January and made booking as I thought I would need the NCT Cert. for my tax.

Shouldn't have bothered!

There was a piece on the radio today advocating the new motortaxonline.ie site where you can tax on line. This is going to be national now after a successful trial in Galway, Clare and a few others where 10% of people who taxed their cars used the online service.

you need insurance details when taxing, but no NCT information is required.

Re: .

According to last nights rte news you dont need your NCT cert when taxing your car any more. As and from March you will be able to pay online by just giving the insurance company name and policy number so you wont need to actually furnish the details in person.

Just want to remind people that the NCT is still compulsory. This tax/NCT relationship is all that appears to be affected. You can still get 'hit' for not having an NCTed motor.

With the online system no proof of NCT or insurance will be required when renewing motor tax. However these still need to be acquired and displayed. Not to do so is an offence.

So to clarify, you can tax the car without an NCT, but if you are found to have a car on the road without an NCT you may be prosecuted?

re

Gurantee it will be a pointable offence within the next few months

motortaxonline.ie rocks!

Yea,
You might not need an NCT to tax the car but I did get a bollickin from a guard at a tax checkpoint one night.. so ... it WAS 4 months pas due ... heh...

Initially I though the NCt would be a good thing, it would eliminate all the gobshites running around with one headlight and the like... but it hasn't ....
And when I read somewhere that less than 1% of accidents are attributed to equipment failure?
Well you have to wonder would they not be better off getting more gardai on the road to spank eejits who drive around with their foglights on permanently or drive at 40 miles an hour with two hundred cars behind em... no wonder people speed when they get out from behind some wally after an hour or pottling along...

People get stressed with all this crap goin on... then they do stupid things... and the ridiculous road surfaces simply kill people...

But I used the motortaxonline.ie last month there.. oh god why didn't this happen sooner? No queues, no arsin around, and the disc arrived a day later!! Smashin...

Re: motortaxonline.ie rocks!

You might not need an NCT to tax the car but I did get a bollickin from a guard at a tax checkpoint one night.. so ... it WAS 4 months pas due ... heh...

Initially I though the NCt would be a good thing, it would eliminate all the gobshites running around with one headlight and the like... but it hasn't ....

Gobshites that don't get their NCT when it's due or until they are reprimanded for example?

Back