NCT issue. Advice please

cremeegg

I brought my 2012 VW Passat in for the NCT last week. I was delighted that it only failed on 1 point. The stabilisation control light is permanently on.

My mechanic says that the sensor is broken but there is no problem with the stabilisation control system as such.

A new sensor can only be bought together with a steering rack, €1,300 parts plus up to €500 labour.

It seems mad to have to pay €1,800 to replace a sensor on a system that is working.

I bought the car 2nd hand from a VW main dealer with a 12 month warranty, that was 3 years ago.

Any advice on how to move forward gratefully received.

Try a car dismantlers for the part and an independent mechanic to fit it..

If no problem with safety could your mechañic just remove the bulb ?

Unfortunately this does not work. The light should come on when the ignition is turned on then go out after a few seconds. So disconnecting the bulb/fuse is not a runner.

Try a car dismantlers for the part and an independent mechanic to fit it..

The sensor is not sold separately from the steering rack hence the high cost. A second hand part is available but that is still €1,000 with no recourse if it subsequently failed.

A good diagnostic system should be able to extinguish the light just before you bring for a retest , otherwise once it is not a safety issue dismantle the dash and remove the bulb.

Price the parts in Traynors, Lisnaskea, a good mechanic will sort you out, not a job for a dealer.

Unfortunately this does not work. The light should come on when the ignition is turned on then go out after a few seconds. So disconnecting the bulb/fuse is not a runner.
Does the NCT tester know this? If you bring the car back for retest and there is no light what can they do? In any case, is electronic stabilisation control even a requirement for a car? Is it illegal for you to disable it, let alone just disable a warning light?

If it's fitted as original equipment and has a safety-related function, then yes it must work. Modifying the car outside the factory spec by disabling standard features or sensors means you must notify the insurance company, meaning no cover most likely.

Hi Cremeegg. I wonder could the fault be a broken or frayed wire connecting to the sensor?
Maybe an auto electrician might be able to fix.

The sensor is not sold separately from the steering rack hence the high cost. A second hand part is available but that is still €1,000 with no recourse if it subsequently failed.

I'm not familiar with the part, but if it's possible (as it would in most cases), to remove it from the rack, you should be able to get the sensor separately from a dismantlers. You could try some of the bigger UK ones.

If the steering rack sensor is electronic then it may just be dirt causing the problem. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Servisol-701-100UK-Super-10/dp/B000KEB6WW (Servisol Super 10) is extremely effective at cleaning and lubricating switches/sensors and has saved me on many an occasion. At ~€10 a can it's worth a punt trying this first.

Back