NCT Farce

yet the same poster whilst bashing public servants then rants about an outsourced private sector company! cake and eating it spring to mind.

I wonder is all this NCT failing due to the loss of revenue from cars that have not been NCT'ed? I've noticed an increasing amount in carparks arount our great island without the up-to-date cert?

Also, I wonder is there different fail rates for different parts of the country?

.. fail on a bulb which had mysteriously blown in the space of two hours. I had to get it fixed at this mechanic (conveniently hmmmm) next to the NCT centre and pay yet another €27.50

Are you serious ? I haven't a rashers about things electrical or mechanical but even I can manage to buy a bulb and fit it myself.

Are you serious ? I haven't a rashers about things electrical or mechanical but even I can manage to buy a bulb and fit it myself.

Depends on the car, my last car I could do them but the current car requires moving a part of the engine to get to headlight so I always have to get a mechanic to do it.

There seems to be a glitch in the system of testing.

One of our cars was 4 in July 2008, but the NCT form didn't arrive until Christmas week, with a test appointment for the end of January 2009.

I have experienced the "blown-bulb" phenomenon with a high-level brake light (not LED, TG) on a Toyota. It was working before the test, I checked, and it was working when the tester drove the car into the centre, I watched him drive it in and use the brakes at the lift.

When the car came out, the bulb was blown. I had to drive to a motor factors, fit a bulb and drive back. As I parked up outside the test centre, the tester gave me a big "thumbs up" sign through the window, and when I went in issued me with a clean cert.

Weird. :confused:

Do you seriously mean literally 'part of the engine'?

I'd be very surprised.

I do. I dont know what it is (I think its only on the one side that it blocks), but there is a large piece of 'engine' totally blocking access by hand to the back of the headlight. Its connected to other things so I dont like the idea of moving it myself.

A guy in work who is car savvy tried to replace a headlight bulb for me last time and even he said 'take it to a mechanic', you need tools to move that bit (he may have named it, Ive forgotten).

Just to clarify - I call anything under the bonnet 'part of the engine' - Im quite sure the bit that blocks my headlight access has no moving parts but as far as Im concerned its part of the engine.

Last edited:
I do. I dont know what it is (I think its only on the one side that it blocks), but there is a large piece of 'engine' totally blocking access by hand to the back of the headlight. Its connected to other things so I dont like the idea of moving it myself.

Hang on - was this a c. 96-01 Fiesta by any chance?

If so, I know what you mean - ridiculous design for a layman to change a bulb. I think it's maybe the air inlet blocking the light on the passenger side.

Hang on - was this a c. 96-01 Fiesta by any chance?

If so, I know what you mean - ridiculous design for a layman to change a bulb. I think it's maybe the air inlet blocking the light on the passenger side.

wow!!! youre good!
98 Fiesta :)

Its a crazy design isnt it? I used to do all the minor stuff on my last car (bulbs, oil, water etc.....) but on this one I just cringe when the passenger side headlight goes cos it means going to a mechanic.

There seems to be a glitch in the system of testing.

One of our cars was 4 in July 2008, but the NCT form didn't arrive until Christmas week, with a test appointment for the end of January 2009.
you don't need to wait for the NCT to send out an appointment to you, you should notice that your NCT is going to be up soon and make an appointment. if not you could leave yourself open to fines and or confiscation of the vehicle.

Just had one of our reps ask me to change the bulb in a 05 citroen C5 and I abliged, You have to remove the car Battery and the head lamp to get at the bulb..! What a joke. You wouldn't want to be in a hurry that morning.

I had my first NCT on a 2005 Ford Mondeo 2.0L Diesel this morning and was told it fail because the engine was too noisy?? The mechanic said he couldnt test the emissions as the engine was too noisy......I questioned him about it and he wouldnt elaborate further.

This is got to be a money racket as my car was serviced 5 months ago and the engine sounds like a normal diesel engine.

Has anyone had the same experience?

My renault megane diesel sounds like a tractor and it passed ok, your nct centre sounds a bit dodgy imho.

you don't need to wait for the NCT to send out an appointment to you, you should notice that your NCT is going to be up soon and make an appointment. if not you could leave yourself open to fines and or confiscation of the vehicle.

Its interesting that we all receive reminders for car tax, insurance etc but not for NCT.
Is it because the NCT doesn't bring in much revenue and what the hell, whats the cost of a few deaths caused by a dangerous car anyway.

So this is the reason why so many people are driving around at night especially, with only one light working. They cant access it themselves and haven't time to go to the mechanic.

I thought I was the only one who noticed all the cars with a single headlight. Beginning to think it was some energy saving measure. ;)

Not to mention all those with badly aligned headlights that give you a nice beam to the face as they pass by on the other side of the road.

Do you seriously mean literally 'part of the engine'?

I'd be very surprised.

Watched an amusing item on the TV show Fifth Gear, presenter swapped a headlamp bulb on a VW Golf in a minute or two whilst a RAC or AA man to access the headlamp socket on a Renault megane had to remove the front wheel and open a panel in the wheel arch, it took him about half an hour! They mentioned if you had a different type of headlamp in the megane, a high power something or other that had a different headlight housing, believe it or not the front bumper had to be removed for access!

Inaccessible headlights seem to be a common design 'feature' on a lot of French models. If I was cynical I might suggest it was a means of increasing main dealer revenue...

Very strange you should say that. I brought my wife's car out for the NCT and was failed on a bulb that had strangely blown on the way to the test centre. I thought it very very strange that the bulb should blow at that particular time but put it down to coincidence (I'd checked the bulbs before leaving for the NCT centre) but now I'm not so sure it was a coincidence....

It's not beyond the realm of possibilities though, I know a Driving Instructor who always keeps a stock of bulbs in his car because he
was twice caught on the hop during a Clients Driving Test when the lights just went prior to the Testers visual inspection.

Back