NCT fail - emissions

John Mason

09 Kia Picanto
147k on the clock

Car failed on emissions - 0.36vol%

Garage gave me some additive and done the other work that needed to be done. they said it was so close to passing that the additive would be fine

Brought it back failed again on emissions, so put more additive in, failed again today

Brought it back to the garage they told me the engine "was pulling petrol"?? and it was an economic write off.

they also explained that i could pay off the nct person with 50e and went into detail on how to do this!!
Do any of you in the know think this car is salvageable? i need the car and I no money for a new one.

John,
How well has your car been maintained over the years? A 10 year old car shouldn't be a write-off, especially with such a low mileage. One question - is the timing belt due for a change... that can be a pricey job to get done. I don't know what 'pulling petrol' means, did they expand on that? Did the additive have a material impact on the readings in the NCT? At this point, I think the best move would be to seek a second opinion some where else. If you say where you're from, someone here might have a mechanic recommendation.

I'm amazed that cheating the NCT system is still possible, I thought that had been caught a few years back (when it could be done for just €10 in some parts).

I'm amazed that cheating the NCT system is still possible

Yes it is.

I saw a vehicle on Friday, brought in from the UK and bought through a dealer in Dublin.

It was riddled with rust in the chassis, there had been a botch welding job done, some sensors blocked off etc. Guy who bought it, took it to the garage to get it prepared for the NCT, they were shocked at what they saw, advised him to get his money back that it wouldn't pass the NCT, he got two guys to pick it up and they took it to be tested. They 'knew' someone. It passed.

Garage guy said he had dealt with vintage cars in better condition. This vehicle was 10 years old. One of the guys in the garage has the same make and model but 4 years older again.

They put both up on the lifts, side by side, shown the guy who bought it the difference. He wasn't to be swayed.

He has a new NCT on it. Garage guy says he'll have tons of problems. But no convincing.

Back