NCT delay

roker

I thought that U would book in good time 2 months ahead, but I find that the next slot is Dec 6 months time in 3 local test centres .
In the news today the Garda are charging people for out of date test. It will take a court case to solve this

I was a few months overdue on mine a few weeks ago due to my own laziness.
Checked online and the next available appointment was late this year.
But there was some option to check for priority appointments (not cancellations) and I got one for within a couple of weeks.

I saw a report today about a car being impounded but it was confusing because said that it was due to no NCT but also said that it was then being sent for a PSV test.

Edit: this is the article that I saw:
Garda PSV Inspectors are out on the roads this morning checking vehicles.
One car was seized in Letterkenny as it did not have a valid NCT. A PSV exam will now be carried out on the vehicle.

I think that once you can evidence that you applied for a test in good time, you'll be fine - it's common knowledge that the entire system is a mess, so why would a court punish you, when you tried to abide by the law, but the system failed you?

* NOT ADVICE BTW * :)

"Garda PSV Inspectors are out on the roads this morning checking vehicles."

PSVs are public service vehicles.
The Donegal gardai are inspecting buses and taxis, not private cars.

Earliest available slot for me is January 24! I've put it on the priority list now so will see if we get something earlier (it is due end of June 23!). It's a bit of a shambles right now, not sure how it has gone so wrong as previously (2 years back) we had our appointment within a few weeks of when it was being booked.

Earliest available slot for me is January 24! I've put it on the priority list now so will see if we get something earlier (it is due end of June 23!). It's a bit of a shambles right now, not sure how it has gone so wrong as previously (2 years back) we had our appointment within a few weeks of when it was being booked.
When I was overdue and looking for an appointment there was some option after the appointment selection form to go into another one that had much more proximate dates. I can't remember the details but this was separate from going on any priority or cancellation list. At the time I was thinking that it was very subtle and I kind on stumbled on it...

I see nothing much has changed re booking a NCT
Car is now on yearly tests and is due 09/05 and the next available appointment for me in Deansgrange is 20/06
Though I presume it's an improvement on waiting 7 months last year :rolleyes:

My car is due in March 2024, last October the earliest appointment I could get in Deansgrange was for May 2024.

I have gone online previously after 11:30 pm and successfully rescheduled for an earlier date. One afternoon last week I went online and to my surprise I was able to reschedule for one of many slots available in Deansgrange for early February. I just had a look now and as you say there is nothing available until June. I can only guess they randomly put up slots and I was lucky. It might be worth a try if you have a few minutes to spare here and there.

It might be worth a try if you have a few minutes to spare here and there.
Nah, I'll just book it in for June and forget about it until then
And for the test in 2025 I'll start looking in October, 8 months in advance
It's just a pity that the people running the service, don't seem capable of providing the service in a timely fashion

It's just a pity that the people running the service, don't seem capable of providing the service in a timely fashion
One of the challenges of high employment, people with the aptitude for this work are earning more elsewhere so we have Applus running recruiting drives in the Philippines looking for staff.

One of the challenges of high employment, people with the aptitude for this work are earning more elsewhere so we have Applus running recruiting drives in the Philippines looking for staff.
Well the recruiting drive doesn't seem to be working as this has been an issue since the end of covid in '21

From their website
NCT are experiencing high demand at present and some customers may only see appointments for mid-2024. The available appointments that customers see online only represent approximately 1/3 of the actual appointments available for that time. NCTS will open the full capacity or the remaining 2/3 of appointments two weeks ahead when we finalise our schedules and know what staff are available that week.

Well the recruiting drive doesn't seem to be working as this has been an issue since the end of covid in '21
It takes a long time to get through the immigration process. Their headline grabbing treatment of some of them unlikely making that cause any easier.

Interestingly, I went online about 6 weeks before my test date - due in February - and got plenty of slots in advance of my test date (Dublin - Northpoint 2)

I wait until 3 weeks before it's due and go on the priority booking list.

The main site hasn't worked properly for years.

My NCT is due in March and late June dates are coming up tho earlier ones are being offered at different centres. Is it sufficient cover to have an appointment booked albeit past the due date? I am not prepared to travel to far flung centre. I realise that the time period/cert for NCT will start in March even tho the test might be months later. It is annoying to have the slide in time as a result of covid ( c 5 months). It is a November car and it suited me to get annual service done around that time.

As has been mentioned in the past on AAM and something that I used to do myself is to log in after 11oc at night when the cancellations become available on the booking system after it has closed off or refreshed for the day.

You don't even need to do that.

They've created some daft queuing system that's broken. Avoid it, go on the priority list.

Back