NCT booking challenge-share your experiences

Orga

Any views on the following:

1. Went to NCT website to see what appointments may be available for near where I live - none available for 6 months
2. Went back some days later - none still (for 6 months)
3. Emailed customer service - reply told me I should have called call centre if I couldn't get appointment within 4 weeks
4. Called call centre - was closed, but then that's why I went online originally
5. Checked online again - nothing
6. Called call centre again - asked what appointments were available - told none available but would be put on a priority list and an appointment would be texted to me - told them that was pointless as how would I know if I could make the appointment - told to call back again
7. Some more emails to try to find out what appointments might be available so I could match an available appointment against my diary - no joy
8. More checking the website - not a single appointment available online
9. More phone calls (last one earlier today) - gave the lady extensive list of the dates and times when I would be available - told would get a text with an appointment for one of those times this evening - nothing yet.

Anyone want to share their experiences booking?

I've never had a problem getting a suitable appointment, but then maybe it's easier in Dublin with the choice of a number of locations. I do usually start looking well before the due date though.

1. Go on NCT website month in advance of expiry
2. Select date and time that suited me.
3. Arrived, paid, failed.
4. Re-sit at time of my choosing, pass.

It used to be great, but this time out I couldnt get an appointment online, so I had to ring up. In fairness I did get a text within a week with a date & time that suited, but for some reason they seem to have stopped using the on-line facility to the same extent as before - a bit puzzling.

I never had any issue when I rang them.

I also found them very professional at the centre (even when they failed me!) The mistake was made at the garage and it didn't cost me.

To clarify, their advice was that the mistake was made at the garage and that I should request a full repair at no cost to me.

This was the actual outcome.

Marion

Left it a bit late to book an appointment, so no suitable time.

Call centre was excellent and promised to text me back with a cancellation.

They did.
I passed.

Brendan

p.s. no problem with garage either.

I was in Fonthill a few weeks ago on a Sunday morning,and the man behind the counter asked did O know anyone who was looking for a booking,as they could come in right a www ay.

1) Got a reminder letter - you can get tested up to 3 months (for oldish car) early.
2) Checked website - only 1 unsuitable day/time available (fonthill)
3) Waited 2 days (with plan to call if still no dates on website)
4) Checked website - a load of dates and days available (a week later then before) - booked and prepaid.
5) Turned up 10 minutes early, staight into test bay - left 10 minutes later with new cert to Jan-2015!

All done recently.

Test not due until Jan but had kept a reminder on calendar for myself to check in Nov as found it hard to get a date last time around. Found the bookings for Greenhills Rd., Tallaght are high as compared to Fonthill who appear to have more available dates.

When I checked no available dates so watched the screen regularly at different times of the day and found evening times were better for cancellations. Got one through patience which I don't have a lot of :D

Tested and passed.

Besides the car being in good repair I always make sure it is gleaming both inside and out because I think if it were me I would like to work on a clean car rather than one that's not hoovered etc.

Also always get the car wash (the dearest one) that washes the underneath part of the car which I'm sure must make their job easier and keep me in their good books ;)

There are some tips here about NCT tests but not specifically related to booking a test.

Got my reminder letter on Friday afternoon.
Logged onto the site.
Booked appointment for 9:00 Saturday morning.
Turned up, got a pass and a new cert by 9:15

Reminder letter ? I thought they had dispensed with that. I haven't seen one for 2 years, nor my wife for her car.

I thought that too. I hadn't received one for a few years, but they seem to have started sending them out again.

So it would seem that the NCT booking challenge, isn't actually a challenge for most people.

OP where are you based? It seems most people posting no problems are Dublin based, maybe there are regional issues.

I think Orga must be the NCT pr department. :)

If these sort of reports came from new posters, we would assume that they were shills and delete them.

Brendan

I've never had any great difficulty getting a reasonably quick appointment and have only had re-tests for visuals (almost inevitably a brake light blown during the test) and once for an unsecured brake-line after a service.

No huge hassels at all.

I put a put of cars through the nct, I find calling them first thing in the morning is best. They are usually filling cancellations at that stage.

Was online Mid Nov trying to book Derrybeg for an NCT. No availability for Nov/Dec/Jan. Checked Donegal,same result,checked Letterkenny, nothing available Nov/Dec/Jan/Feb
Got an email today offering one day/time Dec10, don't think this is how the system should work really!! Should be a bit of choice there.This is the first time i had an issue,usually several dates available over a longer period.Not showing February at all on Derrybeg and Donegal centres

Back