Natural OR Painted - Doors, Skirting, Stairs.......

going for wood or not - depends on plans for flooring windows also. if you have wood floors/windows/doors/architrave/skirting/stairs/furniture ..........mayb a bit of overkill on the wood front.

I think a wooden stairs is lovely though.
We are thinking of going for the off white painted architrave & skirting with oak doors - not just becuase of the price but also becuase we are afraid of overkill & it also brightens the place up.
Think cherry doors could be quite dark?

Hi All

We are planning on buying oak doors and window boards, but getting red deal skirting and architrave and painting it creamy white!!

The window boards are costing €750!!

My question is - do we also need to get red deal door frames?
Can you see the knots from the red deal through the paint?

Thanks

You will have too much timber - paint the skirtings and architrave, properly done it will look well. Make sure the knots are sealed properly before painting - You may see some knots but the overall loole will be great. Believe me - I have seen it hundreds of times!

thanks
another question?
we have dark woodgrain pvc windows what type of window boards should we use (i dont like the dark pvc ones)
oak at a cost of €750 or
red deal painted white?

red deal painted white - 2 reasons - the contrast between PVC and timber can be jarring and the white this will bounce a lot more light into the rooms.

My newish house of five years has all painted doors, makes the place very fresh looking. I also tiled the hall, I think houses can be overdone with wood. Strangly enough all my skirting, architraves are wood. I was in a quandary whether to paint them or not, but it looks ok to me, might'nt be everyones cupa tea.

We also have wood-effect PVC windows (light oak) and are trying to decide on varished vs. painted for window boards. We are planning wood floors and white painted skirting, architrave, doors (to avoid the 'too much wood' effect). 'eroe' your points are very good - has anyone else got wood-colour windows and painted window boards, and if so how does it look ?

why not stain it, use oil or waxes or other colour paints that would go with your stairs, there's lots to choose and think about outside the circle...

Hi there,

We got the golden oak effect pvc windows , and we have ordered an oak stair case and oak shaker style doors. We are definitely painting the window boards, skirting and architrave white. We are also definitely tiling the hall, kitchen, dinning room and sunroom. Sitting room and downstairs bedroom will be solid wood floors. We too wanted to get away from the too much wood effect that you tend to see now. Upstairs, apart from bathrooms & on suites which will be tiled, we are using a good laminate board.

Hopefully it will all come out fine in the wash !

Secman

any recommendations of a specific colour to use on architrave & skirting etc. Think white be too bright? So thinking of a slightly off white colour? Anyone use a particular colour that looked great????

I used a pretty light brown colour with my oak doors, think it looks good.
Leo

corkcuu -Colourtrend 'Almost White' & Colourtrend 'French White' are two colours I have used extensively - Almost white is very contemporary, and French White is a gentle colour very suited to a more classic interior.

THere is a very nice off-white called gardenia. It is one of the trade colours. You will not see it on any colour cards, but every sinlge paint shop in the country will mix it for you.
Looks very good, as was said before pure white can be too bright.

Quick question. I've just installed solid oak doors, architraves and skirting and don't really what to lose the effect by varnishing or painting, is it possible to get some sort of treatment that will protect the wood from sunlight etc. but will still maintain it's original colour?

You could consider beeswax or similar - I don't know a lot about it, but it is a very environmentally friendly traditional method.

Moved into a house with really cheap looking white doors.
Would like to replace them with a better quality door in white.Can anyone recommend a good retailer ? Looked at the 2 white doors on offer in Brooks & not impressed.....

Hi Red,
[broken link removed] have a look at these prefinished white doors - make sure your check the doors out in person. I have never used them but they have an 'unbeatable factory smooth paint finish' which may look a little plastic. There is also a list of retailers on their site.

Hi Spicey

I'm curious as to how your concrete stairs turned out? was the wood covering a success?

Rgds
Brave Inca

hey spicey ,

any chance of contact for guy who did the concrete stairs and cladding for you,

stuck in a new build atm in co cork

Hi Spicey,

Any chance of finding out who did your concrete stairs and woodwork. Just coming up to that stage of a new build in Kildare.
Thanks...

Back