Nationwide UK closing where to put funds

discovery101

Hi guys.....I have a one year fixed account maturing early with NUK closing....can anyone recommend a new home for 20K ??

Thank you in advance.

Best place for now is state savings. interest rates paltry but tax free making them much better than banks and if you go long term with banks your money is either held or subject to penalty for early withdrawal.If you have to withdraw all or part early from state savings it is available at seven days notice and you only have loss of interest which is a pittance anyway.

I have indeed but the rates are terrible....any other alternatives?

You can get 2.50% AER variable with a KBC Extra Regular Saver. 10k lump sum allowed and then drip feed the other 10k into the account @1k per month. Requires a KBC Extra Current Account to be opened as well which is free provided you deposit at least 2,500 EUR into the account per month.

I opted for 5 year savings certs with An Post - it was the best I could find and no DIRT

In the same boat.

I have 5K to transfer from Nationwide UK Ireland, saving €200 pm for kids college fund, probably dont need it for 10 years.

I dont fancy switching all my current account stuff to KBC to get their 2.5%

EBS Family Savings 3% looks good, but a pain because they only accept an initial deposit of €1000, I would have to dripfeed the remaining €4K in €1K a month for 4 months, while saving the €200 monthly amount in a seperate account for that period, seems like a lot of administration from me.

Am I missing any other decent option for a regular savings college fund?

Thanks for reading.

Hi guys. I have a sterling account with nationwide. Similar problem as account is closing. Don't need access to funds. Don't want to change to euro

KBC and PTSB offer interest bearing GBP accounts. Both do GBP term deposits if you do not need access.

Back