Nantucket v Martha's Vineyard

onway

Going to Cape Cod soon and wondering which of these islands to visit - don't really want to waste 2 days doing both.Also,intending to go as foot passenger - is this practical??

Been to MV but not Nt - it is practical to go as a foot passenger. Islands are small and there are buses. I can't say there is lots to do on MV or probably Nt just the usual quaint shops, cafes, etc which personally does nothing for me. That said it is a nice place as is the whole of the Cape it is relaxing - i guess I'm just typical male don't enjoy walking all those shops looking at more ornaments, beads, jewellery bah, blah. I can't remember any real highlights to tell you to go and see - personally me and a couple of lads met an Uncle of mine who lives there and went for a quick pint...you know the rest....Enjoy !!

It is more practical to go to Nantucket as a foot passenger as there is only really one town on the island and you can walk around it, there is also a bike rental place near where the ferry docks.It is a very pretty town with well preserved old buildings and a lovely harbour which at this time of year will be chock full of some of the biggest yachts on the East Coast. Its nice to sit out on Main st in the evening and watch the world go by but things are not cheap on the 'Grey Lady'. Trip out from Hyannis is about 2 hrs by ferry or you can catch a 12 seater puddle jumper from the airfield in Hyannis flight out is about 20 mins( try and get the co pilots seat...great view).
The ferry out to the Vineyard from Woods Hole takes less time but the island is bigger ,more to do and see and you would need a bike or a moped to get around it. Edgartown is worth a visit and you can hop over on the Chappy Ferry to the island where Ted Kennedy met his Waterloo( nice beach out there). The other end of the island is referred to as 'up island' and there are some nice quiet lanes for cycling/walking.

If you are not into browsing for beads, well the Cape and Islands are renowned for their fishing, Bluefish or Sea Bass, what a fight when you hook one of those babies, and every sort of water sport is catered for.

If you are short on time ,skip the Islands altogether and stay on the Cape, visit Chatham and Provincetown instead. P'town is good for whale watching.

i've spent a summer on the tucket and would well recommend it....get a bike and just have a spin around.....loads of small little coves....get a pizza slice at the muse bar...the best on the island!!

I spent 1 month on Nantucket in 1990 when I was in college with my sister and loved it. We hired bicycles and toured around after work each day (we did some childminding) and loved the quaint town. The beaches are lovely.

I returned there for a trip on my honeymoon in 1999 and again loved it. It had lost none of its charm and because i was over the legal age limit was allowed to sample a nice bud light with my lunch! I loved taking my husband around all the sights i had experienced years before. We came across a lovely deserted part of the beach on our bikes and just relaxed there for a few hours. THis was in August and you could still find a place on your own.

We too took a trip to Provincetown and that was an experience. I think it has a very large gay community and it was a very different place which we enjoyed. We took a whale watching trip from here which was wonderful.
Would definately recommend you do this.

All in all I would recommend a trip to Nantucket based on my 2 experiences of the place both as a teenager and on honeymoon.

If you fly in to Boston what is the easiest, quickest and cheapest way to get to Cape Cod. I would like to rent a car while there but is it possible to rent it on Cape Cod itself rather than have to rent it in Boston and negotiate through the busy traffic?

We did rent the car at Boston airport and didn't find the driving down to cape cod bad at all. The roads are very good and we had a good map and found it very easy to get around. We also drove up to Niagra Falls from Cape cod so I suppose we don't mind driving anyway!

fobs said:
We did rent the car at Boston airport and didn't find the driving down to cape cod bad at all. The roads are very good and we had a good map and found it very easy to get around.
Same for us - very easy to navigate in/out of Boston on the highway.

I was in Nantucket in 2001. Flew into Boston and flew down to Nantucket in a 7 seater plane. It was a sunny day so the view was amazing.

At the time it was with CapeAir and the one way fare was $120

I highly recommend it.

Back