named driver

• Thread starter unbloodysure
  • Start date
U

unbloodysure

i currently hold a provisional license and am an named driver on someone elses policy .......... is this legal or sholud i declare my circumstances to the company i am insure with .
They did not ask for any detailsas i signed up .

If you are the main driver of the car then you should, simply because if you have a need to claim and the insurance company have reason to believe you are the main driver instead of the person who's name is on the policy they may not pay out - you're effectively driving uninsured.

Well, your statement is a bit unclear. Are you driving your own car onesomeone elses policy, or are you driving on some onw else's policy with a provisional licence, after stating you have a full licence? If the former, you are silly and in the event of a claim may not be covered. if the latter, you are doing the 'someone else' no favour as in the event of an accident, as well as you being unisured, 'someone else' will possibly have to reimburse the insurance company any claim.

One of the priciples of insurance is UBERRIMA FIDES - Perfect good faith; abundant good faith.

It means the policy holder most act in utmost good faith, and that the Insurer will provide cover on the basis of the proposal.

Now if anything that might change the nature of the risk happens it's up to the insured to inform the insurer.

A "material" fact is one that might alter the opinion of the underwriter as to the risk itself, and the premium to cover it.

Failure to disclose a material fact can make a claim voidable or totally invalidate the contract.

In motor insurance common examples are:-

1/. Named drivers. Parents insure car in their names with children as named drivers. The proposal form will ask "will you (proposer) be the main driver?" If the parent doesn't tell the truth in answering this question the cover may be in jeopardy.

2/. Modifications. Big business this, and dangerous too from an insurance view point. If a car has it's standard specification altered in any "material" way, the insurer should be informed so that it can reconsider the revised risk.
Material alterations might be increasing the engine power, lowering the suspension, fitting racing seats, or a rollcage, etc.
Other mods. which are routinely ignored are fitting a big aftermarket stereo, oversized alloy wheels and fat tyres, or a bodykit. It could be argued that these are only cosmetic, but that'd be incorrect because the chances of theft will have increased, as the car will be of more value to a prospective thief.

Back