Name Change

LexLuthor

I recently married a German woman and she would like to change her surname to mine.

What is the procedure? Should she change her name in Germany and then show her new passport here?

or change it here.. (but then she'd have to change it again in Germany?)

its just that I don't want to send her to the 4 courts (as you have to go in person... sigh) to get a deed poll for them just to tell her to do something else..

(I take it that since this is a result of a marriage she would not require a change of name licence...?)

As far as Ireland goes, it's just a convention, there's nothing legally required. She simply lets people / banks / employer know that she is now Lexia Luthor. Official offices/ banks will often ask for a copy of your marriage certificate.

Can't speak for what's done in Germany.

A German citizen cannot use the deed poll system here unless they apply for permission from the department of justice.
Here is the English translation of the relevant law according to the Gesetz-in-Internet webpages of the German Federal Ministry Of Justice.

Art. 10
Name
(1) The name of a person is governed by the law of the country of which the person is a national.

(2) At or subsequent to the conclusion of marriage, the spouses may, by a declaration given before the Registrar’s of Births, Marriages and Deaths Office choose the name they will use thereafter:

1. under the law of the country of which one of the spouses is a national, notwithstanding article 5 subarticle 1; or

2. under German law, if one of them has his habitual residence within the country.

If the declaration is made subsequent to the conclusion of the marriage, it needs to be publicly certified. As to the effect of the choice on the name of a child, § 1617 c of the Civil Code shall apply mutatis mutandis.

(3) The person having the parental authority may declare before the Registrar’s of Births, Marriages and Deaths Office, that the child shall obtain the family name

1. pursuant to the law of a country of which one of the parents is a national, without regard to article 5 subarticle 1; or

2. pursuant to German law, if one of the parents has his or her habitual residence within the country; or

3. pursuant to the law of a country of which a person confering the name is a national

Declarations made subsequent to the issuing of a birth certificate need to be publicly certified.

Back