Naas opinions on living there

sully

Hi All,

Thinking of buying a new house in naas house prices are more reasonable. However i hear the commute can be a nightmare and am just wondering if the area is worth it. ie what the town itself is like.

Any opinions welcome.

Thanks
Sully.

The commute can be a disaster when traffic is heavy (assuming you will be comming in via N7, past Citywest, past newlands cross etc. Its not bad once you get in as far as Inchicore. Long mile road isnt too bad.

Its a nice place to live though, pity there are no late buses out to it.

If you are commuting to city on a daily basis, traffic on the Naas Rd. is a nightmare.
Particularly bad around Red Cow roundabout, and almost at standstill on Friday evenings, and anytime theres bad weather and / or rain.
If you can work close to home ,then good luck, Naas is a great spot, but I would not even contemplate the city commute , it is stress on wheels.

Hi there

There is of course the option of taking the car to Sallins Station and then taking

the train. There is a good Arrow service and then at Heuston you have the option of the LUAS and Bus or a good walk.

If you work around the city centre another options would be to get the train from Sallins, takes about 20 mins on a train to Heuston+Luas to city centre.
Within 2-3 years there will be a station in Spencer Dock and that might suit you down to the ground.

Naas is nice......commute is crap but it depends on where you are travelling to.
If you are working the Naas side of Newlands Cross you should be ok once the roadworks are finished...........if you work the far side then you will be stuck in traffic
Another option to those mentioned above is to drive to the Red Cow luas stop & go by luas from there.
Also bus service isnt bad from Naas.

Dont mind the negative feedback...I bought a new 4 bed house on the Sallins Rd last year after living in Dublin for years and Ive never looked back...I lvoe the place and now cringe at the idea of having to go back inside the M50...I really dont miss Dublin!
Move down!

I am from Naas, still living at home, and have commuted to Dublin pretty much every day for the last 4 years, so I thought I'd throw in my two cents here in terms of public transport.

I travel daily with Bus Éireann who provide a pretty good, regular service to and from the town into the city centre - with buses serving the North Quays/O'Connell Street area, the Longmile Road/Crumlin/Stephen's Green end of things, as well as DCU and UCD. I'd say it takes about an hour and twenty minutes to get from Naas to Stephen's Green [in the normal N7/Newland's Cross traffic]; it takes me an hour and forty minutes to get into Donnybrook on the UCD bus in the mornings.

The train from Sallins into Heuston may be faster, but if you're living in Naas town and don't want the hassle of driving out to the station/relying on the elusive feeder bus [or if you work on the south side of the city], Bus Éireann is probably handier.

And in the evenings the Naas bus [as opposed to one terminating in Newbridge/Kilcullen & stopping in Naas] will usually go around some of the housing estates to drop off which is nice if it's November & spilling rain! :p

Tarquin said:
I lived there for 18 months and hated every day of it. I found the towns people extremely unfriendly, I did get to know some fellow commuters who were lovely but felt very like I did. Myself and the fiance gave the place every chance but were so miserable that in the end, we gave up the apartment (were renting, thank God in hindsight, as it was much easier to leave than if we had bought) and moved back to Dublin.

As for the commuting...that was horrendous. You need a car to get to Sallins train station as the feeder bus is a joke. Either arrives too early or too late. The bus isnt the worst but I know that traffic has got even worse since we left four years ago.

The town does have some nice restaraunts.Its a moneyed town though and very much up itself. Sorry to be so negative but we had a terrible time and I still shudder when I even think of the place.
Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience of the town but I just couldn't let this go. Have to wonder where in the name of God the people felt to be representative of Naas were being found?! IMHO, whatever about being "A Nice Place To Shop" :rolleyes:, Naas is still a nice place to live and I think there is a strong sense of community for those bothered to get involved & it's a grand distance from Dublin; I only wish I was "moneyed" enough to be able to buy there instead of having to up sticks to [the nice-but-further-out town of] Portarlington.

The Naas road will get better however as it's upgrade is due to be finished in the summer. It remains to be seen how much time the improvements will help the commute to the city

Our office is based in Parkwest. There was a girl commuting from Naas [driving] and the stress of the traffic got so much that she got a job in Kildare town and left.

Hi there,

The driving is not so bad if you can manage to time the traffic.

I can make it from Naas into the city or to Sandyford Ind. Est. in about 35 minutes if I leave at either 06:45 or 09:15. Alright not everyday - but most of the time. The road is almost finished and when it is the traffic will improve moderately (bottleneck still at Newlands though).

It is a nice town, plenty of pubs, restaurants etc.

I was contemplating moving the family to Wicklow not so long ago, but we weighed up the options and decided to stay put.

Stay away, it's horrible. My parents moved us all down there from Rathfarnaham when I was 13 and it was the biggest mistake they ever made. It's rough, full of nasty begrudgers and nosey idiots. The bullying in the secondary schools is really bad and as for that accent..ugghh. Thank god the place is bypassed is all I can say.
Needless to say none of us live there now, we ran out the place as quick as my parents could sell the house. The traffic is nuts there and it's not getting any better, causes commuters terrible stress. Avoid at all costs is my advice. It's just not a nice place, personally I hate Naas, never met so many horrible people in one place!. I would not let my children go to school there anyway!.

so everyone is agreed. move to naas its great. i thinkthat commuters are great. all that insanity bubbling so close to the surface!! I couldnt do it.life is too short. i lived in castleknock for a year and loved it. was playing county u-21 hurling at the time and used to travel home a couple of times a week on the train. everyone looked so tired and fed up . it used to depress me.sorry if this is not very positive.

Im sorry to hear you had such a hard time in Naas , Mag. I find it a pretty nice place actually. Close to Dublin but far enough away, good shops, food, bars & in my experience friendly locals. Time Venue one of the best around and restuarnats like the Storehouse are not easy come by !

Sounds like you lived there a while ago, and I have to say that these days people from all over , live all over and maybe you might find that the attitude in provincial towns has changed a huge amount in the last number of years.

For a commuter moving down, the nearer the train station the better ! PS I'm not from Naas !!!!!

It's not actually. I am a young married mum of 2 living on the dart line and it's great!.
Anyone I knew that was decent there couldn't stand the place and once they finished school got out!. I still know a few people down there actually through my job etc and it's just not nice I'm afraid. I know that commuter towns have expanded and have all sorts there now but the other towns seems alot nice than Naas.
That arrow service from Sallins is a bit of a joke really, AND the first bus to Dublin still leaves at the same time it did 10 years ago.
Keep the head down living there seems to be the way to go, if you are lucky to have nice neighbours that's a bonus, at least you will have someone to talk to!.
Time will end up like Regines in the Ambassodor did....full of trouble & closed down. I dunno, each to their own I suppose but i would rather live in Achill & commute than Naas!!!. Sorry!!.

Back