N26, opinions?

Ndiddy

Good morning, was searching for thoughts on N26 on AAM and was surprised to find that there were none! Does anyone use them and what do they think? I was comparing Revolut and N26 and I would have thought N26 was a real contender considering that they are an actual bank with deposit coverage, free card, free foreign spending, etc.?

Any thoughts would be great.
Thanks

Im a big fan of N26. Only downside compared to revolut is you cannot do instant bank transfer from your Irish account

We prefer N26 for foreign nationals who relocating to Ireland as set out here

[broken link removed]

I don't understand the the logic of the advice on this website: what difference does it make if Revolut moves to Dublin?

"Whilst Revolut has the edge in terms of functionality, they are moving their operations to Dublin and therefore in order to benefit from Remittance basis planning, we recommend opening an account with German Bank N26."

Last edited:
They've actually added the ability to do this now. It's the "Credit or debit card" option under "Add money".

I did it once fine but the second time I tried it, it said that there was a charge for it so I have reverted to putting money in from my BoI account.

To the OP, I have the free version of both, I couldn't decide which and I figured it wasn't expensive enough to not try both! I like that on the free Revolut you can have 5 vaults (there are only two spaces on the free version of N26) and I like the option of having different currency purses, that I found useful visually and for keeping track of what I spent, the other Revolut plus for me is the instant (and free) option to top up.
I prefer the N26 app though, it is less about the gimmicks (crypto currency, advertising, etc) and more about banking, I also found it more intuitive to use. I also think the analytics are presented better. Between one thing and another, I haven't used either much abroad but N26 is (marginally) better value in terms of currency exchange. Revolut applies the government stamp duty on cards by charging you 12c for it on each withdrawal which I found a bit off-putting. I am also more comfortable that it is a bank and it is within the EU. Am going to shuffle all but a low balance out of my Revolut account in December and wait to see how the end of the transition period lands. I don't think there will be any major issue but I'd rather not put money on that over Christmas!

They've actually added the ability to do this now. It's the "Credit or debit card" option under "Add money".
You got me excited, but it looks like there is a 3% fee. The fee makes sense because there are charges for card transactions so Revolut cant do it indefinitely either. But i'll take it while they are doing it!

If you have a revolut account, you can use debit card to fund that account and then use instant SEPA to transfer to N26. N26 account will be credited immediately and you can avoid the 3pc.
(No Irish banks do instant sepa as far as I know).

Have both Revolut & N26 in recent months.

Getting annoying notifications from Revolut. Its not an issue with N26.

Have had to use chat support on both. N26 was far superior for support, knew exactly what they were at, solved any issues quickly and without delay.

Revolut support chat, had to keep checking with other people, drawing out the process to an unacceptable length of time, and the overall experience was quite amateurish.

Setup all DD’s on N26, had to fill in a non Irish bank paper form for 2 utility providers, no issue there, and its up an running, and Vodafone were not able to process a German IBAN, but i could still use the N26 mastercard.

will continue to use both, but can see me dropping Revolut in time, and theres still a slight nagging feeling about them not being a bona fide bank.

I use revolut pretty much as a “pre paid card”. Fund (no more than a couple of hundred) it to buy stuff on internet. I wouldn’t treat it as a “conventional bank” (ie put my salary into it) even if it was licensed as a bank unless things changed a lot including:

- Customer service
- snafus on anti money laundering (money locked up for weeks - report
- work culture/staff turnover issues - can’t be good for any business.
- The business actually making money

That said they have been very innovative and have come up with some great features. If they got the above right (and had a banking license) I would consider it (and pay a basic fee).

If you have a revolut account, you can use debit card to fund that account and then use instant SEPA to transfer to N26. N26 account will be credited immediately and you can avoid the 3pc.
(No Irish banks do instant sepa as far as I know).
Oooh, I hadn't considered bunny-hopping cash through my Revolut! Must try that, thanks :)

Just wondering if N26 is a feasible way for my husband to get his monthly UK state pension in future?
Currently it gets paid into his UK Barclays account but it looks like we may not be able to continue doing that if there is a no deal Brexit. Paying it into his Bank of Ireland current account would result in losing €5/month in fees as far as I can work out from their complicated leaflet, though I haven't yet double-checked if that is the correct charge with BOI.
Does anyone currently get a UK state payment into their N26 account? Is there any cost?
Thanks for any advice - I think even he would consider the pain of filling in the relevant forms, if it saved the cost of a pint of Guinness a month...

I use Credit Union as bank and transfer online to N26. Transfer early in morning and usually there by 2-3pm. No charges, no fees by either. AIB / BoI have'nt been seen here for years.

Just wondering if N26 is a feasible way for my husband to get his monthly UK state pension in future?
Currently it gets paid into his UK Barclays account but it looks like we may not be able to continue doing that if there is a no deal Brexit. Paying it into his Bank of Ireland current account would result in losing €5/month in fees as far as I can work out from their complicated leaflet, though I haven't yet double-checked if that is the correct charge with BOI.
Does anyone currently get a UK state payment into their N26 account? Is there any cost?
Thanks for any advice - I think even he would consider the pain of filling in the relevant forms, if it saved the cost of a pint of Guinness a month...
But Revolut might be afaik it's UK based

Back